Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #26
Frosty

The one thing I can't stand on the ZR1 is the damn hood window, I think it's so freaking tacky.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #27
BigAls87Z28

It is. I dunno what they were thinking. Well I do know what they were thinking....but I dont know who thought it looked good.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #28
Frosty

Oh I know what they were thinking, they just failed at pulling it off, lol.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #29
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Alright well I guess not everyone can be happy.

It takes exponentially more horsepower to go faster, on top of the fact that it also reequires a lot of aerodynimc work to make sure the car will be stable and able to a high speed.
When Peter Brock designed and built the wooden buck for the Daytona Cobra coupe, a very well respected areonautics in the field of aircrafts questioned him about the design of his car most notably the roof and Kamm tail, and said that his design would not work for the speed they were looking for out of it, which was to go from 160 to 180mph. The guy predicted the motor would need to have twice the horsepower in order to get to that speed. Peter pushed on and had it built. On February 1st 1964, When they tested it at riverside, they used the same block as in a 289 Cobra, with a few tweaks, not producing the twice as calculated horsepower needed to get it to 180. Within a few laps Ken Miles was clocked at 183mph!!! so Areodynamics play a big part, and in this case with the vette, that should of been addressed as well. I know it has a lip and spoiler and such, but the body should of been redesigned, thats one of the major problems that I have with this car, it looks like a Z06, witha few changes, and has almost a 20% increase in power output, and thats the number it gets. Hey I know probably 99% of the peopel who wil ever own this will never get to that speed, so then Y buy it? At this point and time it becomes braggin numbers for car companies. The new ZR1 does have alot of changes performance wise, like alot more carbon fiber added, the brake setup, ando ther goodies, but it doesnt....idk...it doesnt grab my attention.

You know theres a saying at my work, opinions are like asshol3s, everyones got one, my opinino is this car could of been better, price wise, hey not too shabby, but id take a Z06 over this if I had 100K. The thing with me is im nota die hard Chevy fan, Im an all around car guy from the shops in So Cal, to the Maranello factories, to the busy country of Japan, I have to respect all car companies, but at the same time I have to scrutinize the car, I cannot play favorites cause then I cannot see other cars true value and potential of what makes them great. I could rant and rave about 5 companies right now wbout why they are all highly overrated, but it owuld take too long. Ill let you know Ferrari and Lamborghini are on that list, so even the superclass cars need to look at themselves and realize that they are not the best, and they do have some work to do, but at the same time I applaude them at their technical advances, and the same goes for the ZR1, theres some work that needs to be done with that car, but at the same time, good job GM, you FINALLY made it to the 200mph club.

I feel that this isnt my conversation for me anymore because you guys are Chevy fans, but I think differently then most of you guys. If you were in my shoes and have come across or drove or ridden in some of the cars I have, you'd be singing the same song as me. Ive been to the Pebble Beach concours d' elegance, and feel like im walkign through an art muesem of what a car should be, because the automotive world has lost that many years ago. There are no cars anymore that are handbuilt from start to finish, there are none that are road cars merely because the company wanted to go racing, so they took the racing car, added an interior, detuned it and sold it to the public, gone are company rivalries contested in the way that checkbooks had no end ( Ford vs. Ferrari, it was reported that Ford spent over 200,000,000 in the GT40 program to defeat the Ferrari team) Today we are given hunks plastic and resins, meshed together with a motor strangled by hoses, and sensors, and are no longer set free, for a computer tells it what to do. So to everyone that has read my last few posts in here, I am sorry, I didnt mean to fly off the handle like that, but Im sick of peopel who will flame my opinion, and I know you guys cannot see what I see and know what I know but if you did, even at 22 years of age, I stun many at events for my thirst of historical knowledge of REAL cars, you would understand my opinions and my reasons for why it doesnt excite me nor impress me.

Quote:
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #30
Frosty

I'm a motor sport fan that drives GM vehicles. I have crazy respect for the Euro cars, they make some of the most bad ass cars in the world but to dismiss the ZR1 like it's nothing special is very short sighted. Does it have the attention factor of a Porsche? Probably not, however it's right up there in performance with cars costing tens of thousands more, THAT deserves respect. You keep saying how GM FINALLY made a 200+ mph car...they had no need to in the past. There was a domestic war here in the States, now that they've won that they're going Euro hunting.

Also, with all due respect you have a very "holier than thou" attitude with what you've seen/driven. You really don't know who has driven what, you're not the only one that's driven exotic cars on this site

Old 04-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #31
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

Yeah well..... the dodge neon can go 248 MPH...... with only 132 HP..... and for $12,000

Boo yah!!!

And..... it does it on regular.

Dodge has kept this quiet..... they didn't want to piss off viper owners.... but since I am an ex neon owner.... I can talk about it.

Nuff said
Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #32
Frosty

Old 04-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #33
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

personally, I liked the Z06 more than teh new ZR1. i think what made the Z06 so likable was that it was almost attainable. the leap from the price of the z06 to the zr1 turns it into supercar status. 505hp is alot, coupled with lightweight simple componentry, its a winning combination. I'll take a z06 with zr1 brakes and wheels please
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #34
wretched73

INTERNET FIGHTS FOR THE MO-TRUCKIN' WIN!!!!
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #35
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Down right ridiculous.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #36
BigAls87Z28

I also respect other makers, especially Italian cars since, to me, they are the pinical of the automotive world.
But like Frosty said, the ZR1 is an awesome car in of itself.
It uses the Enzo's FRONT rotors for the BACK. It uses the ultra-rare Ferrari FXX front rotors, only shaved down to fit under the 19 inch wheels. Its the cheapest car with carbon ceramic brakes. The car also has a magnetic suspension that is found on the Ferrari 599 GTB, the fastest reacting suspension set up ever created for a production car.
The car has a lot of exotic stuff in it, and for its price its amazing that Chevy can price it so low. If I just said that this random car has 638hp, aluminum chassis, carbon fiber body pannels, magnaride suspension, carbon ceramic brakes measuring 15.5 inches up front with 15's in rear with 6 pistion calipers front, 4 in rear, Pilot Sport tires measuring a massive 325 in the rear, and that it was from Modena for 300k, everyone would accept it and praise it.
But if it comes from Bowling Green, and has a Bow Tie on it.....
Old 04-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #37
Frosty

Quote:
But if it comes from Bowling Green, and has a Bow Tie on it.....
...and that stigma will probably last for many more years.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #38
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
...and that stigma will probably last forever.
Fixed

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #39
JerzyIroc

nipples

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 (currently for sale PM me for details)

JerzyIroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #40
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Fixed

- Justin
You're probably right

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyIroc View Post
nipples
Hairy ones?

Last edited by Frosty; 04-26-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #41
JerzyIroc

nah.. the pepperoni nipples.

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 (currently for sale PM me for details)

JerzyIroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #42
BrandonDrecksage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post

and as for the ZO6 topping out at 80K, thats great, now take that other 20K that oyu were gonna use to buy the ZR1, and find out just how much faster it will go.
Oh and Foff67, nice photo
how about I just buy a civic for 1k instead of a zo6 and dump the other 79k in to it and see which is faster, the zo6 or the civic...pointless comparison.

You can't judge the car saying its not a supercar till its put on a racetrack and tested against other cars in the same league.

Previous
1999,, 2001, 2002 Chevy camaro ss, 1998 camaro z28, 2013 camaro 1le twin turbo all m6
BrandonDrecksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:38 PM   #43
chrisfrom nj

if i had the money i would buy one
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge