Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #76
89 Trans Am WS6

Just to clarify a few things before this post gets indexed by google and sent away with all the other pages on the net with bad/false info.

First, the issue on lights/rear view mirror/etc. You NEED them. MVC has a simple rule they teach. It may not always be followed(Parsons..hah..), thus giving various results in different locations but its easy.. IF THE FEATURE IS ON THE CAR, IT HAS TO WORK. IE: Not all cars came from the factory with a pass side mirror, right? If thats the case, you can't fail safety for it. If the mirror was knocked off the car, you can, and should fail. Its a typical gray area in MVC law..Now if you went a bought a block off plate like a car that really didnt have a mirror on that side and installed it, they woudlnt be able to fail you. Just an example but you get the point.

Yes, registering your car should of gotten you a pink card that is good for 14 days. Failing a car gives the operator 45 days from that date to make the repairs and re-inspect. TECHNICALLY you CAN be ticketed during those 45 if a cop wanted to be a big enough dick. Remember what the name of the ticket is..."failure to inspect". Untill a certificate of approval is on your windshield(the sticker) you are not inspected. Odds of this happening are slim, but it can.

In regards to "magically lowering" emissions by tuning the carb. Yeah..kind of. The tuners here on the board will be able to remind you how emissions work. Leaning your car out hardcore is going to eventually raise the NOx value aswell. Your forgetting that. Changing to better one setting can in fact harm another. Sometimes finding that perfect value is hard, if not impossible without emission parts. If it was doable without theres a good chance we wouldnt have the parts from the factory. ;>

Re-inspection of a vehicle is only done on the areas that it initially failed for. If you failed for tires the first time, and came back knowing that your car is now running rich as hell(for whatever reason) they are only going to check the tires..that sniffer isnt going anywhere near that car.

And the reason you may have never seen a inspector hook up a tach lead is simple. You can bypass it and most guys do. ALSO parsons isnt required to do it on the state lines for the sake of speed. Also inspectors are not required to do any kind of extra work to make that tach hookup. If its some kind of newer car (which would most likely be OBD anyway) and it has some kind of crazy engine plastics that cover up the ignition wires or something, your not required to remove anything to make the hookup. Another reason for a bypass.

As far as getting a emissions waiver("Car wont clean up no matter what i do") you have to send proof to the state that you spent at least $400.00 in repairing WHAT IT FAILED FOR. Obviously you cant say i failed for tires and emissions..spend 400 on a sweet new set of Micky Ts and expect to get a waiver. They want to see receipts for emissions parts and stuff of that nature. It rarely happens. Something about the 700 cfm and the skinnies may make them think you arnt trying to hard, lol.

The biggest issue with all of this stuff is theres no easy way for most people to get information on the emissions program. What you hear from a cop, doesnt have to be true either. The problem is the police and MVC work on two different sets of rules on most things. Heres a good example that ive told other people before...As of about..6 months ago not having a front plate on your car is no longer grounds for failure. You will get an advisory for it but you will still get a sticker as long as everything else passes. Your happy because your "legal" now and pull out of the inspection station. First street you turn down a cop pulls you over and writes you for no front plate. First thing on your mind is "I JUST PASSED INSPECTION!!". Dont matter. Its still illegal. Having two different sets of "laws' really does not help any of us out, it just makes it more confusing.

Point of this rambling is to try and help you guys out and not get failed in the first place. If any of you are friends with guys that are PIFs/ERFs ask them to see the blue book. You may be suprised with what you read. Dont believe all of what you see on the net. Some of us may be better suited to just keep riding on their mongoose or GT. They dont need inspections.

Just a fun tip for some of you, it may help. A little known secret..low mileage exemptions. I know alot of us unfortunatly dont get to drive our cars as much as we want to..sometimes before we know it , the time has come to get another inspection and we barely moved the car! one thing you can look into is requesting a low mileage exemption. The inspector will never ask you if you want it, but the option is there. If the car is driven less then...umm..2500? Miles since the last inspection and you can prove it..with a bill(at a PIF) or maybe your old paperwork from the state with the odo reading, the car is exempt from dyno testing and just gets a idle test. Dont quote me on the mileage just yet tho, ill look it up and post the exact criteria. It may help some of you out or at the very least keep some fool from trashing your beauty on the dyno!

Hope this helps some of you!

OH PS! In case you dont know parsons was rewarded the new state contract so they are still going to be on board. Theres also another company...telecom or some ****** Dunno got the papers at work. Theres a seminar at the regional centers in the next month or so to go over the new emissions test program/equipment so we will see. Rumors have been flying that dynos may go the way of the dinosaur. You all will know when I do.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #77
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Trans Am WS6 View Post
Some of us may be better suited to just keep riding on their mongoose or GT.
you poking fun at me?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #78
V
Stalker

i have a schwinn super stock 1 with gt flite crank, 3 peice bars, gyro II, etc etc..
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #79
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
As of about..6 months ago not having a front plate on your car is no longer grounds for failure.
thats correct. i went through inspection a month or so ago without my front plate and nothing was said about it. i failed for tires and a blinker . ObdII cars and newer are exempt from emissions testing and they only scan the computer to make sure emissions components are working properly.

Your information was pretty dead on except for the fact that. if you keep your motor vehicles inspection copy in your glove box the officer wont be able to ticket you if its within the 45 days dated on the motor vehicle report. Thats only if you go through a state testing facility and not a private one.

Last edited by NastyEllEssWon; 08-03-2008 at 02:34 PM.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #80
89 Trans Am WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post

Your information was pretty dead on except for the fact that. if you keep your motor vehicles inspection copy in your glove box the officer wont be able to ticket you if its within the 45 days dated on the motor vehicle report. Thats only if you go through a state testing facility and not a private one.

Failing at a PIF gives you 45 days to have the car reinspected aswell. You can still get a ticket for failure to inspect, even within those 45 days. All you need is one prick cop, or one you gave a hard time to after he pulled you over for something else. The point I was trying to show is the huge gray areas between MVC rules and state law that the police follow.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #81
79T/A

Quote:
i have a schwinn super stock 1 with gt flite crank, 3 peice bars, gyro II, etc etc..
Mine's a Sledgehammer.

"Shocks...pegs...LUCKY!"
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #82
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79T/A View Post
Mine's a Sledgehammer.

"Shocks...pegs...LUCKY!"

"Ever take it off any sweet jumps!!"

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge