Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

Exclamation help needed with T5 swap

i have to swap a T5 into my racecar, replacing the blown auto. i need a hand doing it. i could attempt it myself, but only having weekends free, it would take a long time and eat up a parking space in my driveway for who knows how long. id like someone or two to help with the swap. i plan on pulling the motor and trans out, and freshening the motor/head swap while its out. i have a hoist and about every tool that should be needed. i have a complete T5 setup: trans, shifter, pedals, hydros, etc.

previous experience with it is a big plus, as are the templates for cutting the holes for the shifter and pedals, but another set of hands is better then nothing. i can $PAY$ in cash if needed, and provide food for the day or two. i only have weekends to work on it, and would like help for both a saturday and sunday. this sunday, the 12th is easter, and the following saturday the 18th is the swapmeet, but other then that im free. im not sure when the next race is, but the months i had to do this is now down to weeks.

if anyone can help, post or PM me with info. im located in bergen county, 5min from giants stadium.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I would love to help you, and i have tons of time to do so, but I can't lift more than 10 lbs per arm after my surgery. sorry man.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

I can at least provide the template for the clutch hydraulic in the firewall. I have the metal in a box somewhere if you would like to borrow it. IIRC I needed a hole saw and drill bit to complete it. Basically I took the firewall around the hole and around the steering column so you can bolt it on the column and have a hole and guide for your holesaw. If you want to come pick it up let me know, I dont think I will have time to help you though, sorry I have to replace the clutch in the 91 since I blew up the organic that I bought
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
The Fixer

I'd love to help, but we're just finishing up an addition on our house and I have a ton of crap to clean, paint, and install yet. If you need any advice though, feel free to PM, we converted my Monte over to a WC T5 from auto. I'm using mechanical linkage, but if you get the template for the hydraulic cuts in the firewall, the cut in the trans tunnel is cake. Once the flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing are installed, slide the trans into position, mark where the 4 corners of the shifter tower would go through the tunnel, then drop the trans down. Drill the pilot holes, then use a pair of tin snips or a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to play connect-the-dots and cut the hole for the shifter. Make sure you cover the dash, windshield, and interior bits with a towel to protect from flying sparks if you use the Dremel.

Also, you'll be able to re-use your existing driveshaft and crossmember, so that's a plus.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

anyone that can actually be here and help.....cash in hand if thats an incentive
Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
PlanDefeat

damnit wish u woulda posted this a month and half later, I could do this with you for free, and the only cost would be to swap out my fourth gen auto with a t5
PlanDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge