Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
BlackTopKing

Transmission Fluid Change...Shop

I wish I just could do it myself, would feel better about this, but its over due and i would like to get it done soon.

I have never done a flush - just drain new filter and new fluid. have heard alot of neg with flushes so dont even want to chance it.

So since I dont have place and space to do this, i will have to go somewhere to get it done. Just nervouse about who and where...

Any feedback and direction would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

We can do it for you here. Give us a call to make an appointment..

JS Performance
215-783-4645
Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
JerzLT1

^^^ did the trans fluid change in my 00 Z28 before i totaled it. I made an appointment and was able to wait while he changed it. worked flawlessly before and after (which is the idea) and i knew that it was done right. anything that gets done at his shop you will know is done right.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Mark42

I hear people say all the time not to "flush" trans oil in a high mileage trans because it "stirs up all the gunk".

That is total BS.

If you ever watched a "flush" it is as far from a flushing as you can be. Its more like a forced drain. The tool fills the trans as the old oil is drained. Not a high flow or violent event my any stretch of the imagination.

I go to the local shop and they have been flushing the transmissions in my 97 Mountaineer, and 98 Town Car every 60K miles or so. The cars have 250K and 180K on them respectively. No trans issues AT ALL.

So go right ahead and have the trans flushed, but get the filter changed too. They should do that before doing the "flush". Remember, there is more oil in the trans and converter than is in the pan. So dumping the pan does less than half the job.

JS Performance has a very good reputation, and will do the job right, and give you the correct advice about the filter for your specific situation.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Slow-V6

I flushed the Tranny on my 88 Cavy with 138,000 miles on it. After I did that the tranny slipped into gear alot. It still ran but had slippery shifts! Its up to you! If your tranny shifts fine and you dont have any problems then why change what you are doing? If it aint broke then dont try to fix it! Now if you flush it every 60,000 miles from when you bought the car Then I wouldnt see a problem. The reason my cavy had a problem was because it went 140,000 miles without a flush and I wanted to have the tranny flushed!!
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 03-11-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-V6 View Post
I flushed the Tranny on my 88 Cavy with 138,000 miles on it. After I did that the tranny slipped into gear alot. It still ran but had slippery shifts! Its up to you! If your tranny shifts fine and you dont have any problems then why change what you are doing? If it aint broke then dont try to fix it! Now if you flush it every 60,000 miles from when you bought the car Then I wouldnt see a problem. The reason my cavy had a problem was because it went 140,000 miles without a flush and I wanted to have the tranny flushed!!
Yeah, 140K is way over the manufacturers recommended mileage for a change. So expect problems if you are that far out of synch with maintenance.

Regardless, I give my cars a lot of hard work. Both the Mountaineer and the Town car tow both my boats. The heavier (and most frequently used) is the Bayliner weighing in at about 1600 lbs on the trailer. A 4 hour tow heats up the trans fluid and frequent changes are required.

Likewise, high stall converters are just as bad as towing. They slip a lot and heat the trans fluid well past its break down temp. So 60k mile trans flush with a high stall is the minimum mileage I would do to preserve the trans.

BTW, the more severe the usage, the more the stock trans cooler is unable to sufficiently cool the trans fluid. More frequent oil changed are needed and an external trans cooler is needed.

Just something to think about.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline