Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Adam1978

Question which rear is best for me?

i have a 78 LT Camaro, and she isnt the quickest car around. it has a kinda played out 350, original non-posi rear, and a T-10 4spd. ive been looking around and it seems like one of the easier things to get a great difference would be the rear, im swapping the 350 for a 454BB or something eventually, but im getting strapped for cash, unforseen DD troubles and so forth. i just did a job for my aunt wiring a hot tub and now have some cash! i hear 3.75 Posi or 3.73 would be great for my needs, its never going to be a track car, i just want a quick as hell DD, and when i do street race, it is only to the speed limit, i dont like putting me or others at risk. so 0-60 is my biggest goal, and if 3.75 or 4.10 or something else is best, and anyone has one they are looking to sell, please shoot me a pm or respond here, im lookin to buy soon =D also willing to pick up within an hour or so drive, maybe further if the equipment and price is right, thanks!
Adam1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I ran a 3.73 and ST10. I'd absolutely go no higher (numerically). The car will be virtually useless on the highway. And with a BBC you could easily get away with like a 3.42.

What is in the car now? Did you verify the gears in it yet? What size tires are you running?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Adam1978

my tires are 70x25xR14 i think, not sure exactly, but i know they are 14inch rims, everything is completely stock, i know the rear is non-posi, if i spin one tire the other tire spins the other way when its jacked up, i am however unsure of the gear ratio
Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

that is not a tire size, go look again.

Last you checked in it sounded like your car needed a lot of work. If your current rear is otherwise functional maybe put that money into something it really needs. Did you ever fix your trans problem?

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 06-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Adam1978

yup, trans is fixed, we think the new throw out bearing just needed to be worked in bc it hasnt made a peep in months, we got new fenders for her and fixed that rust problem, has 4 new tires and ha! its 225x70 R14, i knew it was around those numbers. oh and the car has new exhaust, all new lights, new tail lenses, fixed the oil leak, she's coming along nicely. i just parked her about a week ago so i can finally get to the performance parts like Rear, BB engine or so, perhaps an M22, not sure yet. just picked up a $500 Isuzu trooper for a new DD, its beat to hell but it gets me a round while i fix up the maro =D
Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

That's a good height tire. So maybe something in the range of 3.42-3.73 gear. But I'd check to see what you have now.

An M22? Why? You want a trans with noisy ass straight cut gears? A ST10 is not a weak trans and you certainly are not going to stress it on those tires.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Adam1978

i love the sound of the straight cut gears! haha thats why i chose the m22 over the m20 or t56 or something lol im not a very practical guy in all honesty lol
Old 06-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

My Nova has an M20 and 4.11's. It's a screamer on the highway (when it's mobile).

I would go with 3.42's and a limited slip diff, personally.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline