Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #126
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Im still way up in the air over it. There are a lot of benifits, but also some sizeable drawbacks.
Ive gone over it before, but Ill bring it up again.
4th gen tank allows the tank to regulate the pressure and not an aftermarket unit.
I get a plastic tank thats a bit lighter, but I get the advantage of the bucket that keeps the pump surrounded in gas.
I also have to adapt either the sender or the gauge so that I know how much fuel is in the tank
4th gen tank also gives me an evap canister attached to the tank.
But...i cant use all that fancy stuff unless I go with a total 4th gen dash. The dash has something to do with controlling the evap canister.
I highlighted a very important pat for a street car. EFI does not like to be fuel starved.

The comment about the 4th gen dash required to use 4th gen evap can't be right. I'm going to read the book. I still don't understand why using the entire fuel system from a 4th gen doesn't work for you. My experiences still tell me GM engineers are better engineers than I am.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #127
BonzoHansen
Admin.

So I thumbed through my 99 Camaro service manual (ebay score $50) and it looks like the EVAP solenoids get ground from the PCM and power from a hot run/start circuit. I see nothing interesting in regards to needing a dash

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #128
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Talk to John @ speartech, I bet there is a way to make your gas gauge work with this.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #129
BigAls87Z28

99 might not have the plastic tank. I thought it was 00 and up. I didn't understand the dash thing either.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #130
BonzoHansen
Admin.

99 does. I still have the one I pulled from the one I stripped.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #131
Mike
BadMod

my 99 has plastic too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #132
BigAls87Z28

Hrm I thought 00 was the change over. Oh well whatever still needs something with the dash to activate the evap because the sending unit sends a signal to the gauge which then activates the whole process. Something like that.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #133
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Who told you that?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #134
Mike
BadMod

i have had my dash out and played with every wire behind it, i dont remember any emissions related wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #135
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

S244, fuel level sensor and fuel pressure sensor are on the same circuit. there's your problem.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #136
BigAls87Z28

IYeah its on TGO. when I get home ill post up the correct info as I forget the correct wording.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #137
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
but I get the advantage of the bucket that keeps the pump surrounded in gas.
This, and the fact your tank would never rust.

Quote:
I also have to adapt either the sender or the gauge so that I know how much fuel is in the
If you are not worried about the PCM getting the proper input then it is as easy as swapping the sender board, I did it and while I was in there I did the Racetronix pump. Took me about 30 minutes for both.

Quote:
Now if I stay with the stock tank, I guess I will have to reuse my old evap canister? But how will that be connected? I gotta start digging around TGO and LS1tech more.
No one answered my queestion on TGO about how the dash controls anything. From my understanding the PCM does ALL the work regarding the EVAP. IMO I think changing the resistor on the back of the fuel level gauge is the way to go in the situation. I have another cluster I can mess with and another fuel bucket I am can try, but I hadnt planned on doing any of that right now. I will get it all out this week/weekend and see what I can do, for a few dollars at Radio Shack I think this is a no brainer.

Also FYI to all, the 98 had a steel tank and 99 and up got the plastic tank.

Last edited by PolarBear; 07-05-2010 at 07:16 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #138
BigAls87Z28

James, yeah I didnt understand how the dash did anything. It sounded as if the gauge in the factory dash sent a signal to the pcm, which would then activate the evap...if thats whats im reading right on TGO.

The advantages of the 4th gen tank is a great deal, and I already have one so that really helps things.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #139
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I think TGO info may be wrong on that according to my book. Reading more now, be right back...

Old 07-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #140
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
The PCM uses the fuel level sensor input in order to determine the amount of fuel in the fuel tank. The PCM disables the engine misfire diagnostic when the fuel level is too low and the EVAP system diagnostic when the fuel level is either too high or too low. The PCM also controls the fuel gauge based on the fuel level input.
it really seems like if you want to use the 4th gen tank and have your fancy emissions crap connected and working, you need to use an ls1 cluster. i'm sure there's ways around everything if you don't wanna do that.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #141
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
S244, fuel level sensor and fuel pressure sensor are on the same circuit. there's your problem.
My initial instinct is you are looking on the wrong side of the pcm for fuel gauge reading. that is the serial out of the PCM. I'm thinking you can tap the lead right off the sender. I'm not even sure why the pcm needs fuel level info for running the engine, but it does appear to impact emissions related items. I'd bet 99.9% of the conversions out there do not use fuel level in. You can't tell me that all the LS swaps in old cars use fuel level in.

From reading the 99 service manual it appears EVAP and fuel pressure sensor work in unison to some degree. Some EVAP codes need 15%-85% fuel level as a testing condition. EVAP issues may throw off fuel pressure readings, which is based on tank pressure, not line pressure as you’d think of it. So based on 30 minutes of reading DTC codes and looking at diagrams, I think you can make both work but I’d stay as close to OE as possible and your EVAP connections need to be spot on. And I see zero evidence of feed back from the gauges. EVAP and FP readings both go to the pcm 1st, then a serieal out for fuel level to the gagues. Why would they get a reading back?

I think this is a decent primer document:
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...44807E-ROD.pdf

Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #142
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Quote:
The PCM uses the fuel level sensor input in order to determine the amount of fuel in the fuel tank. The PCM disables the engine misfire diagnostic when the fuel level is too low and the EVAP system diagnostic when the fuel level is either too high or too low. The PCM also controls the fuel gauge based on the fuel level input.
it really seems like if you want to use the 4th gen tank and have your fancy emissions crap connected and working, you need to use an ls1 cluster. i'm sure there's ways around everything if you don't wanna do that.
Why? That tells me the pcm feeds the gauge. I have not found anything on the opposite yet.

Al, good for you. EVAP is a zero HP loss, high gain emission control. Evaporating fuel is terrible for the air.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #143
BigAls87Z28

Well, then I come to this question is that what do I do? I just let it vent out?
I guess GM needed a way to have the computer be in constant check of the pressure in the system for emissions control purposes where in older cars it was more or less kind of just hoped that everything was hooked up together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
Al, good for you. EVAP is a zero HP loss, high gain emission control. Evaporating fuel is terrible for the air.
Im picking up sarcasim a bit?

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 07-05-2010 at 08:26 PM.
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #144
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Is speartech doing your harness? If so, call him for his $0.02.

I still think you can do the 4th gen fuel/evap swap part for part. Again, look at the e-rod instructions. pretty similar I think. with all your goofy gm nutwork at gmi can't you get a number of a gmpp tech to talk to?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #145
BigAls87Z28

GM Performance Parts will know nothing
GM Performance Division was disbanded and the members were sent into each of the remaining divisions after Chap 11.

People I talk to are not engineers, they are PR/Communications people with very little contact with anyone from powertrain.

And no, Speartech is not doing my harness.

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 07-05-2010 at 08:30 PM.
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #146
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

listen, i'm having a little trouble thinking straight but from what i can gather you can't run the evap can without the instrument cluster. i'll try to read into it more but it just doesn't seem to be possible without all of the pieces.

evap **** is very finicky and i hate it

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 07-05-2010 at 08:33 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #147
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
listen, i'm having a little trouble thinking straight but from what i can gather you can't run the evap can without the instrument cluster. i'll try to read into it more but it just doesn't seem to be possible without all of the pieces.

evap **** is very finicky and i hate it
I'd be curious to know as it makes no sense and the book mentions nothing in any of the related DTCs I read. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I do not see that in the book.

Al, how does evap work in your car now?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #148
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Is this what is throwing you off Adam?

I read this as the PCM uses the fuel level sensor input from the tank to determine the level in the tank. Then it does what it has to do with the codes based on the level in the tank, and then the PCM outputs a signal to the fuel gauge based on what it saw from the fuel level sensor in the tank.

I don't see any reason why this output from the PCM can't be used to run a stock fuel gauge in some way.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #149
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Is this what is throwing you off Adam?

I read this as the PCM uses the fuel level sensor input from the tank to determine the level in the tank. Then it does what it has to do with the codes based on the level in the tank, and then the PCM outputs a signal to the fuel gauge based on what it saw from the fuel level sensor in the tank.

I don't see any reason why this output from the PCM can't be used to run a stock fuel gauge in some way.

- Justin
I don't see why the cluster is needed...but....that 'out' on the pcm is a serial out, so I assume it carries other info too. So I think that is no good.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #150
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I'd be curious to know as it makes no sense and the book mentions nothing in any of the related DTCs I read.

Al, how does evap work in your car now?
There is a canister on the driver side behind the headlights. There is a vent tube that comes up from the tank to the canister. There is a connector that I assume controls what goes on with the charcol canister, with vac tubes going into the engine.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech