Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
thunder
12 Second Club

Generic thread asking for help/advice

Ok so i hate to bother everyone with my problems especially since i havent been the most active member as of late but bear with me. This summer ive dealt with constant break downs and these most recent 3 im lost as to what to do.

currently i have 3 major issues to fix. Firstly at speeds above 60 i get a bad vibration that seems to come from the back of the car. Wheels were balanced and alignment were done less than a month ago. I also managed to damage a U-joint so i slapped in a fresh one. The vibration however is still there.

Secondly ive been having problems with my trans popping out of third gear and not going into reverse for a few months. The third gear issues happens mainly at lower speeds and if my reverese doesnt go in i pump the clutch and it seems to solve the issue. It feels like the clutch is not disengaging completely and my clutch pedal is very low.

Thirdly, and i think this may be related to the second issue.Yesterday I got in my car and pressed the clutch pedal down and when i turned the key the car lurched forward.I also cant change gears with the motor running. Obviously the clutch is not disengaging. tomorrow i will try to bleed the clutch. Hopefully that helps.

Any sort of advice and pointers as to how to go about any of these problems is greatly appreciated.
-Marek
Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Did the vibration come out of no where or has it been there for a while? Does the vibration happen above 60 in all the higher gears?

For the clutch, def check the fluid level to make sure it's full and take note of the color. If all looks well, then you need to check the master and slave to make sure these are working properly.

Good luck.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

1.) I vaguely remember that this is a car that has a non-stock rear? Can you give a little more info?

2.) I agree that you may have a hydraulic issue with your clutch.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Blacdout96

1. Check and see if you lost a weight on the driveshaft, or any obstruction stickign to it, that could make it vibrate.
2. Just like head lights, replace U-Joints in pairs to assure that the other one hasent taken a dump.
3. when was the last time you looked at your differential, or changed the fluid, maybe a bearing or gear tooth/teeth maybe damaged?

As for your trans, maybe a good bleeding or maybe a bad slave cylinder that's stuck?
Also, how does the trans mount look. Don't just visually inspect it, take it out and look at it. Hows the trans fluid, is there shiny specks in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
thunder
12 Second Club

ok thanks guys, now i have a game plan to start trouble shooting. The fluid didnt look to good so im gonna drain it all out and pour new fluid in and bleed the piss out of it.
Then ill pull the driveshaft and see if anything is missing and while im there ill check the other u joint.
How do i check if the master and slave are working well or should i just fiddle with it?

The vibration occurs at all speeds actually regardless of gear and even in neutral.

Ill pop the cover off the rear and see if the teeth are intact
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
thunder
12 Second Club

Also can issues 2 and 3 be related?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
WildBillyT

Is it a stock 10 bolt?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
thunder
12 Second Club

ford 8.8
Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
WildBillyT

Who set up the gearset, and who set up the rear for f-body use?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
thunder
12 Second Club

i picked up the rear from some guy in delaware. Its an 8.8 center section with tenbolt axles tubes welded on and Moser axles
Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Blacdout96

If it's during neutral as well, then that deals with your rotating assembly from the tip of your crank, to the output shaft of your transmission. They may all be related wit the clutch/flyweel, bad motor mounts, trans mounts. You also may need a tune up if it didnt have one and is misfiring, or maybe a spark plug wire is crossed with another one. If you're unfamiliar with any of this, m ight want to take it to a shop and have them look over it,and let you know what it may be, and then replace it yourself.

Quote:
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

If pinion angle is not correct it could cause a vibration..
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Blacdout96

Ah, I had to reread you're post thuder. I thought you ment in neutral like at a stop not moving at all.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
thunder
12 Second Club

Sorry for not being around i have been busy with other things and the car got put on the back burner. So turns out i broke the spring plate on the clutch which explains one of the problems.

when i have more time i will try and adjust the master to fix the popping out of gear issue, if that doesn't work im probably gonna have the trans rebuilt.

I have also pondered the vibration issue, I am begining to suspect it may be related to pinion angle. previously i had snapped my torque arm off the pumpkin and had to weld it back on and reinforce it by boxing the whole thing off. Perhaps during this the pinion angle ended up being off? if this is the case would an adjustable torque arm be of any help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (48.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Sorry for not being around i have been busy with other things and the car got put on the back burner. So turns out i broke the spring plate on the clutch which explains one of the problems.

when i have more time i will try and adjust the master to fix the popping out of gear issue, if that doesn't work im probably gonna have the trans rebuilt.

I have also pondered the vibration issue, I am begining to suspect it may be related to pinion angle. previously i had snapped my torque arm off the pumpkin and had to weld it back on and reinforce it by boxing the whole thing off. Perhaps during this the pinion angle ended up being off? if this is the case would an adjustable torque arm be of any help?
Vibration could be caused by the pinion angle being off. Best to check with an angle finder before you spend money on an adjustable unit. I have a stock torque arm I will let go for super cheap if you want it.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech