Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #26
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
Won't just deny my application? Possibility to save like $80 on a beater hood lol.
I don't think you want to try and fraud the state because that's simply what it is. Not qualifying is one thing but purposely providing falsified documents would likely not end well. Submit the application, if it gets denied, spend the money on the hood.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
Won't just deny my application? Possibility to save like $80 on a beater hood lol.
Doubt it. It's fraud, and they probably don't take too kindly to people trying to abuse the new system after the old one was trashed so bad.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #28
V
Stalker

Even if they deny for the hood, can't you maybe just find someone who can lend you one? lay it on, take a picture then remove it. No need to even bolt it on, I doubt they will care about perfect fitment.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Even if they deny for the hood, can't you maybe just find someone who can lend you one? lay it on, take a picture then remove it. No need to even bolt it on, I doubt they will care about perfect fitment.
This would be ideal. I found one that "needs paint" for $70 in central jersey (but that's a 2 hour trip).
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
84z350crate

I have a cowl hood on my 84. All that matters is the car must be 25 years old
84z350crate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84z350crate View Post
I have a cowl hood on my 84. All that matters is the car must be 25 years old
You may have gotten your Historic plates while having a cowl hood, but this is NOT correct information. According to the MVC the car MUST BE STOCK IN APPEARANCE.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #32
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
You may have gotten your Historic plates while having a cowl hood, but this is NOT correct information. According to the MVC the car MUST BE STOCK IN APPEARANCE.
I don't recall who it was, it may have been yourself, but didn't someone get denied for having a stock 77 TA front clip, that was original to the car because it was claimed by them to be not stock? All because it had a shaker hood?

FWIW, my brother took the bra off his beat to hell Fiero, snapped the photos and got the plates. When I did my 84 TA, I had a hood half in primer. Went to trenton (back before they expanded it) and got the plates was in and out of the building in less than 30 min.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #33
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I think the point is they have changed or tightened up the rules in the past year or so. what flew 5 years ago might not anymore.

I don;t think you can even get them in Trenton anymore. that is where I got mine.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #34
zraffz

I'm doing it through the mail no matter what. I don't think they give a damn about paint or wheels. Regardless I will call and double check; if it's an issue I'll primer the car so it's one color.
They seem to be concerned about factory appearance as far as body panels go. No aftermarket style grilles, mirrors, additional body parts, or especially missing parts.

Now, I'd like to just go buy a 2" or 2.5" cowl hood (whatever came stock on some of them; since the vin won't distinguish the exact model anyway) but I have some doubts about it clearing with a victor jr and spray plate. With a large air cleaner, no plate and the victor jr I might be able to fit a 4" hood but that would be very tight. Even with a shorter air cleaner I can't see it fitting with the addition of the spray plate.

I guess to play it on the safe side I take the carb, air cleaner and hood pins off and get a stock hood to snap a few pictures.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #35
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
I don't recall who it was, it may have been yourself, but didn't someone get denied for having a stock 77 TA front clip, that was original to the car because it was claimed by them to be not stock? All because it had a shaker hood?
I have a 73 and when I went for my plates the car had a standard front end and the dumbass woman said it was "wrong".

My point was that you are trying to say that all that matters is 25 years old, when this is simply not correct. I did not want someone to go through with a car without stock appearance and then get denied, and wonder why.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #36
amargari

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I have a 73 and when I went for my plates the car had a standard front end and the dumbass woman said it was "wrong".

My point was that you are trying to say that all that matters is 25 years old, when this is simply not correct. I did not want someone to go through with a car without stock appearance and then get denied, and wonder why.
Wow. I am glad I got mine 3 years ago.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
KevinW

This is from the NJ MVC Historic (QQ) registration application

Quote:
Brief Description & Eligibility - Historic registration may be assigned to an antique vehicle which is at least twenty-five (25) years old. The vehicle must be owned as a collector’s item and used solely for exhibition or educational purposes. Please note that the vehicle cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way and must be equipped for legal operation on New Jersey roadways. Historic registration must be renewed every three (3) years, but there will be no-fee for the renewal.
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/SP-121.pdf

I underlined that surprising sentence
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #38
zraffz

You can have different wheels but that's about it. As far as outside appearance it needs to look 100% stock.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #39
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
This is from the NJ MVC Historic (QQ) registration application

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/SP-121.pdf

I underlined that surprising sentence
When did they put that sentence in? I got my plates three years ago.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #40
andy78TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post

FWIW, my brother took the bra off his beat to hell Fiero, snapped the photos and got the plates. When I did my 84 TA, I had a hood half in primer. Went to trenton (back before they expanded it) and got the plates was in and out of the building in less than 30 min.
I think that was me actually... A 78 but yeah I was denied because of the shaker hood and a bunch of other stupid little things including tires and the roof. In the end DO NOT GO TO FLEMINGTON. I got my plates no problem in Somerville. Brought the same pictures and I was all set. It is A LOT harder now though. It used to be anyone really could go in, but I also know a lot of people who just pulled pictures off the internet and gave them that.

Last edited by andy78TA; 12-09-2012 at 09:29 PM.
andy78TA is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge