Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #26
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

so who makes EMachines?

I love the Dell I am on right now. a year and 3 months of law student abuse, and it is running great. Honestly, I couldn't live without the Dell drivers anymore. Plugging in my external mouse, for example, disables the touchpad. That alone is enough for me to stick with dell.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #27
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
so who makes EMachines?

I love the Dell I am on right now. a year and 3 months of law student abuse, and it is running great. Honestly, I couldn't live without the Dell drivers anymore. Plugging in my external mouse, for example, disables the touchpad. That alone is enough for me to stick with dell.

Thats an option on any laptop that has the proper drivers lol.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
fmybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92camarodude View Post
NEVER BUY A HP. I have a HP Dv6000 and its falling apart.

Heres the list

Dead internet card
Dying grafix card
Dead Touch pad
Hard drive problems
Power Button dead
Speakers Dead

I will never buy another HP again.
i have this same lap top or simular to it.. its the special edition one its white...anyways wanted to say i have had 1 problem with this computer since 2007 and i still use it DAILY. the problem i had was the keyboard got some stuff in it and it like the letter 'T' wouldnt work lol thats it.. it was under waruntee and it got fixed and sent back in like a day..

my gf on the other hand has had a dell prob for a year or so. and has had problems since day one... under waruntee has gone thru literally 3 and is on her fourth one... service sucks and has had nothing but a horrible experience..

anyways... i say go HP or even macbook if u got the money... stay away from dell IMHO..

edit: there is one more thing... i got into photography about 8 months ago and since ive been storing ALL of my photos from my canon 450D.. my hard drive is nearly full but im gonna get an external and transfer the music and photos... just get the most space u can get i guess..

Last edited by fmybody; 10-10-2010 at 07:57 PM.
fmybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #29
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Thats an option on any laptop that has the proper drivers lol.
are you saying you can put dell drivers on any laptop? I'm a bit confused. To clarify, this is what I was referring to:

Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #30
BigRocsFirebird

^ but yes this stuff is helping me. i also want to see some of these in person i guess i'll go check some stuff out at best buys or some place like that.

1988 Mustang - supercharged, heads/cam etc...

2012 Mustang - 5.0 6spd / 437rwhp 420trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Verts are gay and stalkers ride in them.
BigRocsFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #31
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
are you saying you can put dell drivers on any laptop? I'm a bit confused. To clarify, this is what I was referring to: *snip*
What he's saying is that the feature you describe is not exclusive to Dell. Most laptops will give you the option to do the same thing.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #32
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
What he's saying is that the feature you describe is not exclusive to Dell. Most laptops will give you the option to do the same thing.

- Justin
Dang, I thought I was special!

Honestly, I think there are certain things you can't quantify in a laptop, like keyboard comfort. Go check em out and report back with what you find!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #33
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Honestly, I think there are certain things you can't quantify in a laptop, like keyboard comfort. Go check em out and report back with what you find!
Yup, I agree. Go to the stores and use different brands - see what you do and don't like. Keep track of brands and model numbers. Chances are pretty good that you are going to get a better price online than in a box store, so you can try in the store and then buy that model (or a comparable one) online for less.

- Justin

Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #34
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
Yup, I agree. Go to the stores and use different brands - see what you do and don't like. Keep track of brands and model numbers. Chances are pretty good that you are going to get a better price online than in a box store, so you can try in the store and then buy that model (or a comparable one) online for less.

- Justin
True in some cases but not all of them. Some manufacturers make specific models for specific chains so that they can defeat price matching.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
True in some cases but not all of them. Some manufacturers make specific models for specific chains so that they can defeat price matching.
Yup, hence the (or a comparable one). Even if you can't find that exact model online, you should be able to find a model with very similar components and very likely the same case / keyboard / screen / etc.

- Justin

Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #36
Z28 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmybody View Post
i have this same lap top or simular to it.. its the special edition one its white...anyways wanted to say i have had 1 problem with this computer since 2007 and i still use it DAILY. the problem i had was the keyboard got some stuff in it and it like the letter 'T' wouldnt work lol thats it.. it was under waruntee and it got fixed and sent back in like a day..

my gf on the other hand has had a dell prob for a year or so. and has had problems since day one... under waruntee has gone thru literally 3 and is on her fourth one... service sucks and has had nothing but a horrible experience..

anyways... i say go HP or even macbook if u got the money... stay away from dell IMHO..

edit: there is one more thing... i got into photography about 8 months ago and since ive been storing ALL of my photos from my canon 450D.. my hard drive is nearly full but im gonna get an external and transfer the music and photos... just get the most space u can get i guess..
See everyone buys a HP because they look so good. But built like **** IMO. Now i have a Old P4 Gateway and this PC is still running strong with out a problem. I might go with the GateWay FX gaming Desktop and Laptop just because of this one.
Z28 Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #37
BigRocsFirebird

yes i would go to a store see what i like and also check the online price. i'm going to try and go this week. i've been looking on the computer for now it helps to see things in person also

Quote:
Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #38
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Honestly when it comes to the 'hp/dell/mac/toshiba...etc are crap', it really depends on how you take care of it. treat it like ****, dont expect it to last. dont suffocate the laptop by putting it on pillows/clothes/beds etc youll toast the hardware. real simple things to maximize the life of the comp.

keep on top of antivirius and defrag once in a while as well as delete extraneous programs that waste processing power (especially programs that come on during boot up), your computer will continue to run like new. i have a hp dv5t (white one) its about 1.75years old now and its running just as good as the first day i got it. its took some abuse too (backpack, dropped a lap on it oops, etc) but i try to take care of it and it does return the favor.

really, like stated, go check the computers out and get a feel for em. see what kinda finish you like (gloss, semi-gloss, rough, etc), overall looks, screen size, user interface (easy shortcuts? laid out well?) these are all opinionated things you should consider. then you could either buy direct from best buy or w/e OR do what i did and go directly to the manufacture and price out a custom unit (that way you can choose more mem. cpu pwr. hdd space. etc) b/c you can get good deals on them.

just my $0.02
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel

Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 10-11-2010 at 09:03 PM.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #39
BigRocsFirebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post
Honestly when it comes to the 'hp/dell/mac/toshiba...etc are crap', it really depends on how you take care of it. treat it like ****, dont expect it to last. dont suffocate the laptop by putting it on pillows/clothes/beds etc youll toast the hardware. real simple things to maximize the life of the comp.

keep on top of antivirius and defrag once in a while as well as delete extraneous programs that waste processing power (especially programs that come on during boot up), your computer will continue to run like new. i have a hp dv5t (white one) its about 1.75years old now and its running just as good as the first day i got it. its took some abuse too (backpack, dropped a lap on it oops, etc) but i try to take care of it and it does return the favor.

really, like stated, go check the computers out and get a feel for em. see what kinda finish you like (gloss, semi-gloss, rough, etc), overall looks, screen size, user interface (easy shortcuts? laid out well?) these are all opinionated things you should consider. then you could either buy direct from best buy or w/e OR do what i did and go directly to the manufacture and price out a custom unit (that way you can choose more mem. cpu pwr. hdd space. etc) b/c you can get good deals on them.

just my $0.02
yes i baby everything. i take good care of everything i own. i don't let anyone touch my phone ipod laptop or anything like that. with my cell phones i've never broke a phone besides over working them. all my phones burned out from texting to much. they said the 27,000 recived texts and 12,000 sent texts a month is what kills my phones.

Quote:
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #40
ryanfx
King of Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRocsFirebird View Post
yes i baby everything. i take good care of everything i own. i don't let anyone touch my phone ipod laptop or anything like that. with my cell phones i've never broke a phone besides over working them. all my phones burned out from texting to much. they said the 27,000 recived texts and 12,000 sent texts a month is what kills my phones.
All those received texts really give your phone a workout eh?
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #41
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRocsFirebird View Post
So counting 8 hours a day for sleep, etc you text 25 times an hour?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #42
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #43
fmybody

Quote:

just my $0.02

i agree with this but my thing is... you also have to consider if you do have some kind of a problem... how the company is going to go about solving that problem... ive heard many stories of crappy service from dell, whether it be in person or over the phone in some cases ive even heard of supplying people with used/old parts and claming them to be new... just sayin

i have only had to service my HP once and like i said.. i got like crumbs in the keys and messed up a key.. we tried to trouble shoot it over the phone and then they sent me a box to send it to them and they replaced the whole keyboard no questions asked..
fmybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
BigRocsFirebird

Quote:
Yeah I try to keep my TPH around that, best for fuel economy

Quote:
Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #45
Z28 Heritage

Quote:

just my $0.02
Yep i baby all my stuff i'm a nerd of course i do But there was no reasoning for my HP to crap out like that.
Z28 Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge