Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #26
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketa95 View Post
Today I tried to engage 4lo on my driveway just to test it and i think it doesn't work. It says on the 4wd shifter to put the parking break on, so i did that, i shifted up to neutral and put the transmission in neutral then when i tried to put it into 4lo all you hear is a grinding noise and i couldn't get it anywhere but neutral. Thinking I was doing it wrong, i put the truck in park and tried again with the same result. Then with the truck in park it wont go back into 2hi, i have to put it back in neutral. Is my truck broken or am i doing something wrong? If it's broken luckily it's still under warranty.
a lot of times, the truck has to be rolling very slowly. Like, slower then you can walk.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #27
miketa95

then why would it say apply parking break? It'll shift into 4hi easily, but its a hassle getting it into neutral and impossible to get it into 4lo.
miketa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #28
HeadlessNorseman

try it with the motor off, truck rolling slowly, but ignition on. If you still have a problem or isnt in 2hi after you restart it, take it in and dont mess around with it. Well either way i would take it in if you have a warranty. Does it have the electro shift with the buttons or an actual handle?

JSFBOA

Draino?

Last edited by HeadlessNorseman; 03-15-2009 at 01:15 AM.
HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #29
Mulletbird

Take it in if it's under warranty is my suggestion. I (lucky me) have the old one, manual shift. If it were an older truck I'd say try fixing it, but since it's still very new, I'd take 'er in. Just make sure you clean some of the dirt off, so they don't think you broke it while out mudding. lol.

Mine does a similar thing, I have to give it a little effort, but it's got 300k on it.
2007 Mazda3s

Last edited by Mulletbird; 03-15-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Mulletbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #30
miketa95

Mine has the manual shift, and sorry apparently I'm an idiot because it works in park but not in neutral lol. The only other 4x4 i ever used was my dads envoys electronic 4x4 and my buddy's xterra which you need to put in neutral to shift from 2hi. Looks like you need to put it in park to shift to 4lo and neutral to shift to 4hi.
miketa95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #31
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Before trying anything else, read the owners manual and try to shift it into 4low in the exact manner it describes. If your driveway is on a slope, I wouldn't do it there - the slope will cause binding as the driveline tries to hold the truck from rolling.

My Jeep can be shifted from 2hi to 4hi on the fly, but to get into 4lo i have to be rolling at 5mph or less, with the transmission in N. Usually works if I am stopped as well, but a very slow roll is what I always use.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge