Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
WiMiMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Right now, GM has no plans to bring it to the US.
so do the big 3 plan on getting rid of the small trucks? i remember hearing about ford contemplating about ending the ranger
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #27
mc73nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Current one looks exactly like how it drives and feels: Cheap as ****.
This is full of truth.
My dad has a regular cab 5 cyl 5 speed since new in 04. My father is a die hard Chevy guy, he hates his truck with a passion. I have to hear him every time he gets in my Silverado how nice it is and how much he hates his Colorado. But its paid for so he deals with it! I have driven quite a few times and have to agree, it is one of the worst vehicles I have ever driven and I've driven a lot.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #28
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I can agree that the current ones are crap (although I do like their look), but regardless of build quality, this new one doesn't look a thing like the typical American will picture the little brother of the Silverado. Front end would look great on a crossover, but not on a pickup.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #29
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiMiMc View Post
so do the big 3 plan on getting rid of the small trucks? i remember hearing about ford contemplating about ending the ranger
answer below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc73nova View Post
This is full of truth.
My dad has a regular cab 5 cyl 5 speed since new in 04. My father is a die hard Chevy guy, he hates his truck with a passion. I have to hear him every time he gets in my Silverado how nice it is and how much he hates his Colorado. But its paid for so he deals with it! I have driven quite a few times and have to agree, it is one of the worst vehicles I have ever driven and I've driven a lot.
Brings me to my next point: Colorado is within a few hundred dollars of a Silverado, and Silvy offers more stuff.

The Ranger, the Dakota, and the Colorado are dead. Frontier or Tacoma, those are your choices if you want a "compact" truck.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #30
WiMiMc

i figured this much, Ford decided it was pointless (in America) to continue the ranger because everything on it is 10-15% smaller than the F150, and since they're so close theres no point in continuing it.

its a shame because i like these smaller trucks.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #31
WayFast84

Al, you really need to take a step back and look at how you are coming off.

As for the truck I think its ugly and dumb. Chevy already tried this crossover truck thing before in the ssr and it was a huge flop.. granted this isn't as performance oriented but still pretty stupid to test the waters on hideous designs with prior failures in the mArket when they really had a good design just needed better quality..

The price for a new Silverado with back seats and 4wd is not even close to the same price as a similar Colorado...
WayFast84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #32
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

What a bummer they are doing away with the "mini" pickups. They all got quite a bit bigger in the last few years but people don't need a fullsize truck regardless of the price difference. The auto makers are forcing consumers into bigger everything. Just look at the size of the 4Runner compared to the original ones. The new ones are Suburban sized!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #33
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

And then Al yells at people buying big cars that suck down too much gas

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 09-07-2011 at 07:33 AM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #34
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I can agree that the current ones are crap (although I do like their look), but regardless of build quality, this new one doesn't look a thing like the typical American will picture the little brother of the Silverado. Front end would look great on a crossover, but not on a pickup.

- Justin
But this car isn't really for the American market, and this is what the rest of the world's small and midsize pickups look like. To me, I see a lot of Tacoma in that car.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #35
mc73nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
As for the truck I think its ugly and dumb. Chevy already tried this crossover truck thing before in the ssr and it was a huge flop.. granted this isn't as performance oriented but still pretty stupid to test the waters on hideous designs with prior failures in the mArket when they really had a good design just needed better quality..

The price for a new Silverado with back seats and 4wd is not even close to the same price as a similar Colorado...
The SSR was an attempt at bringing back the old style pick ups, which did fail but wasn't a crossover.

The prices of the Silverado and Colorado aren't really far from each other, a well equipped Colorado is in the low 30's and a Silverado is in the mid to upper 30s. If you can buy at the right time you can get a Silverado for less than a Colorado. The sticker on my truck was $36,500 and I got it for $27,900 after the rebates. Even if it wasnt on sale I would much rather spend an extra $75-$100 more a month for a much more capable vehicle.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #36
69RSZ

It seems like chevy wants all cars and trucks to have the same generic style grills and that sucks.The malibu,impala,cruze, and a few others have the same grill style like chevy only has one designer doing all their cars!!
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #37
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RSZ View Post
It seems like chevy wants all cars and trucks to have the same generic style grills and that sucks.The malibu,impala,cruze, and a few others have the same grill style like chevy only has one designer doing all their cars!!
apparently thats the style... have u seen audi acura bmw benz....

and as for price comparison to a silverado... some people have zero use for a truck of that size, like myself which is why i have an s10 blazer and am interested in a current colorado, and for me 75-100 more a month could be much better spent
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #38
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
Al, you really need to take a step back and look at how you are coming off.

Look how I am coming off? No, I know how I am coming off, it is meant to sound like that. If GM had to use this place to gauge what customer response would be for future vehicles, they would have melted down in Chapter 7.

You, sir, are way off base with your comparision to the SSR.
First off, the SSR was a halo car, a car where GM can exercise some design over function. That huge flop lasted a few years, sold what it needed to, did what it had to do, and was gone.
They aren't "testing the waters" with this truck, this is the truck that will be produced for places like Thailand, Australia, and other Far East markets. But there is a good chance that we could see this here in the US, despite the official word out of GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RSZ View Post
They have several designers working these cars, but yes, there is a brand language that Chevrolet wants to have. The Colorado wears it, as will most Chevy products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
apparently thats the style... have u seen audi acura bmw benz....

and as for price comparison to a silverado... some people have zero use for a truck of that size, like myself which is why i have an s10 blazer and am interested in a current colorado, and for me 75-100 more a month could be much better spent
Some people, yes, but the people that do need a truck usually go with a Silvy over a Colorado. There are many people that are fighting for the Americans to stay in this market, and it just won't happen. Profit margins are way higher, and production capacity at the full size plants would love to keep the doors open.
If you price out a crew cab, 4wd, long bed, 5.3 liter Colorado, you are looking deep into the 30's.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #39
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
And then Al yells at people buying big cars that suck down too much gas
Never yelled at anyone for doing that, ever.

And if you want to get into it, I would say a 4.8 or 5.3 liter Silvy will get similar MPG to the 5cyl Colorado of similar configuration.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #40
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...9&postcount=33

Quote:
Our gov't is killing it? No, Americans are. Americans, as a group, don't know when to say "enough" because we are greedy bastards. Two ways to slow down the use of oil: 1- Make the OE's make more efficient vehicles or 2- Tax the **** out of the oil, slowing your consumption.
Years and years of smoking warnings, hundreds of lawsuits, tons and tons of education about "STOP SMOKING" but people kept lighting up? Odd...
But, not a pack of cigs are almost 10 bucks? Why? Taxed out the ass. Surprise, smoking is on the decline!
EPA has been enforcing CAFE since the 70's, yet the average MPG of the nation hasn't really budged. Why? Because GM went from making 15mpg V8's cars to 25mpg V8's SUV's. Years and years of being drilled about saving the earth, cleaning the air, saving the polar bears, didn't do a damn thing because gas was a buck a gallon.
Then 2006-2007 comes, and ZOMG, 3.50 A GALLON?!?!?! **** THIS ****, IM OUT!
Truck sales drop in the ****ter, SUV's are a dime a dozen, and every OE...I mean EVERY OE is diving into product development, trying to find something that gets better MPGs.
Now, gas is 3.50 a gallon again, and what is GM's #2 best selling car? The 38-42mpg Chevy Cruze.
So they (GM) can't make a smaller truck more fuel efficient than a larger truck?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #41
greenformula92

looks like they are going right after toyota with that one, is it still going to be a full frame truck? if they go uni body on a pickup like "ram" did with the dakota or what honda did with the ridgeline im going to have to go ahead and walk away from GM lol

and maybe just maybe if they did get out of the smaller market it might open the door for the price of the silverado 1500 to come down a little bit to make it more affordable to sell more units. I think they are all over priced anyway, i love the Sierra HD but for what i would want it would be a $50,000 truck, i can't afford that. and if i could afford a Sierra 1500 i would settle for that, but its still a $40000 truck, i think it would benifet GM if the price came down a little, in the long run you could probobly sell more to people who don't have brand loyalty and buy solely on bang for your buck. if a fully loaded 1500 went for like $30,000 or a well optioned one would sell for around $28,000, and a bare bones 4x4 could go for like $22,000 as opposed to the $25000 or what ever it is now. a reg. cab 2WD work truck silverado is $22,000 now and that only comes with the 4.3L 6 CYL. I am sorry but that is way over priced if you ask me

2018 Silverado 1500

Last edited by greenformula92; 09-08-2011 at 08:06 AM.
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #42
WiMiMc

if they kill the Colorado here, at least bring over the Ute lol
Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #43
91chevywt

It's probably not worth GM's time to even bring a small truck to the US market anymore. There's definitely a market for one, but it's so small it's not worth catering to. Before there ever was a compact pickup, people just bought a base model full size. I don't see why, if that was the only thing on the market, the same thing wouldn't happen. A base model, short bed, reg cab pickup can be purchased pretty cheap, not much more than a compact.

Anyone have actual sales figures on the current Colorado? or even the whole compact pickup market?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #44
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...9&postcount=33

So they (GM) can't make a smaller truck more fuel efficient than a larger truck?

Never said don't buy a big truck. I said, don't complain about high gas prices after you purchased a big truck.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #45
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

But gm doesn't make a small one to combat the high prices?

And how is gas being taxed to 3.50 a gallon and the US has massive debt but oil companies are setting record profits quarter after quarter?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #46
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
But gm doesn't make a small one to combat the high prices?

And how is gas being taxed to 3.50 a gallon and the US has massive debt but oil companies are setting record profits quarter after quarter?
Gas is not being taxed up to 3.50 a gallon, Americans are just dumb and won't protest the rise in prices because we have become used to it.
US COULD raise gas prices further, and then remove any and all tax breaks and such for oil companies, that would raise revenue in two ways, but neither will happen, oil companies will still rake that cash in, and Americans will only be outraged for a short term before they just get used to it.

Some people need trucks to do work, and they will get buy. The rest of the people that have them that don't have them outside of the typical "safety" nonsense will either have to start shelling out more cash, or get a wagon.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #47
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Oh wait, I read that wrong. I blame my head
Old 09-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #48
bubba428

it looks like a dodge Ram 1500 stuck its head up an equinox, I like it.

Last edited by bubba428; 09-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge