Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #26
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1978 View Post
timing and carb are WAY out of sync lol i know that, my tach is broken and i dont have a timing light, and the carb itself has linkage issues and is just worn out from 33 years of use, i rebuilt it but alot of the inside looked kinda used lol and the dashpot has a hole in it and doesnt work anymore, plus the choke linkage to the back butterflies seems flakey and idk why, all vacuum lines were replaced and vacuum is working fine, it was running really bad and i found an open line in the carb and plugged it with a rubber nipple and it seems to run alot better now, the tach is an easy fix i just broke the wire that comes off of the distributor, once i get that fixed im gunna buy a timing light and try to set the timing, does anyone know what the timing is supposed to be on one of these things?
Adam,

All due respect, you are jumping the gun something awful. It sounds like you need to spend some time and a little money figuring out what you have before you go balls deep into a rebuild.

1.) If you don't know what you are doing rebuilding a Q-Jet you probably made a few mistakes. Even seasoned car guys trash Qjets because they can be hard to tune or work with. I'm not going to say run to a Holley, but this establishes that your carb is an issue.

2.) You had a big vacuum leak. If you tried to tune it with the open line you need to redo your tune.

3.) The vacuum advance that I am speaking of can help your car run cleaner. Make sure there is a vacuum line running to your distributor.

If you can, take a couple pics and post them up. And some more info about the underhood setup would help.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #27
Adam1978

idk lol, where they attach to the block itself the metal and rust is coming off in rather large flakes, not to mention even with a new header back exhaust i still here exhaust coming from right infront of me so i know there's a hole in them somewhere, how much are a nice set of long tube headers? i want more acceleration in this puppy lol i dont care about top end speed really, just 0-60, i never go faster...unless on the parkway lol
Adam1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #28
WildBillyT

Quote:
idk lol, where they attach to the block itself the metal and rust is coming off in rather large flakes, not to mention even with a new header back exhaust i still here exhaust coming from right infront of me so i know there's a hole in them somewhere, how much are a nice set of long tube headers? i want more acceleration in this puppy lol i dont care about top end speed really, just 0-60, i never go faster...unless on the parkway lol
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9001-9/

$170 with the discount posted on here. These are also ceramic coated so they will look nice for a while and will keep the underhood temps down. That exhaust is probably an exhaust leak from blown gaskets or a monkey fisted install.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #29
Adam1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Adam,

All due respect, you are jumping the gun something awful. It sounds like you need to spend some time and a little money figuring out what you have before you go balls deep into a rebuild.

1.) If you don't know what you are doing rebuilding a Q-Jet you probably made a few mistakes. Even seasoned car guys trash Qjets because they can be hard to tune or work with. I'm not going to say run to a Holley, but this establishes that your carb is an issue.

2.) You had a big vacuum leak. If you tried to tune it with the open line you need to redo your tune.

3.) The vacuum advance that I am speaking of can help your car run cleaner. Make sure there is a vacuum line running to your carb.

If you can, take a couple pics and post them up. And some more info about the underhood setup would help.
i didnt do the rebuild, my dad is a general foreman over at NJ transit, he had one of his machinists that used to be a car machinist rebuild it, he said he has rebuilt many cars and carbs lol so i trust him, he just said that the rebuild kit itself did help alot although alot of the internal workings looked pretty worn, and my friend's dad tuned the carb for me, the vacuum leak we found when we brought it home from NYC, those bennies just dont know how to take care of cars lol
Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #30
BonzoHansen
Admin.

WBT is right, time to stop guessing & start testing!

you might just be seeing flakes of old coating & hear gasket leaks. amazing what a sandblaster and some eastwood manifold paint will do to old rusty headers:

Rusty:

Sandblasted:

Done:

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #31
WildBillyT

OR:

TO:

Yes, not as good, but this was with hand sanding and painting pitted headers.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #32
Adam1978

ooo not bad, i want to get a new exhaust regardless of what happens with the engine, it just doesnt sound mean enough and it feels like it is being really held back, the carb i was thinking about going Edelbrock, what would you guys think? i like Holey, but i heard Edelbrock is just as good and i can get them for cheaper from my buddy. any who, when i get my first few checks i was going to go for long tube headers with an x pipe and duel exhaust. now back to the engine, i want to learn how to rebuild engines eventually, so sooner or later i want to get a crate and drop it in while working on the engine, or maybe have a beater while i rebuild that engine, not sure yet. oh and yes there is a vacuum line running to my carb lol
Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #33
BonzoHansen
Admin.

mine are pitted to hell, what cha gonna do?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #34
WildBillyT

Quote:
ooo not bad, i want to get a new exhaust regardless of what happens with the engine, it just doesnt sound mean enough and it feels like it is being really held back, the carb i was thinking about going Edelbrock, what would you guys think? i like Holey, but i heard Edelbrock is just as good and i can get them for cheaper from my buddy. any who, when i get my first few checks i was going to go for long tube headers with an x pipe and duel exhaust. now back to the engine, i want to learn how to rebuild engines eventually, so sooner or later i want to get a crate and drop it in while working on the engine, or maybe have a beater while i rebuild that engine, not sure yet. oh and yes there is a vacuum line running to my carb lol
Vacuum line running to the can on the distributor.

An Edelbrock carb is fine. They are based off of the Carter AFB.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #35
Adam1978

hmm im not sure if there is, i believe someone said that it wasnt a vacuum advance distributor, but i cannot remember, i will have to check when it is sunny 2marow, should i take pictures of the engine if i can get my camera working to better explain everything?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #36
WildBillyT

Quote:
hmm im not sure if there is, i believe someone said that it wasnt a vacuum advance distributor, but i cannot remember, i will have to check when it is sunny 2marow, should i take pictures of the engine if i can get my camera working to better explain everything?
YES
Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #37
Adam1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
YES
lol okay i'll see what i can do.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning