Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Frosty

Need PC help

Ok, gonna provide as much info as possible here

The other day my mo-bo and video card went bye bye. Got that taken care of and figured now is a good time to reformat. I start that but I got an error part way through....which was my fault. I noticed that a fan was unplugged and went to plug it in...well my dumbass knocked off the connector to the hard drive. So naturually I get the blue screen of death...great...right in the middle of a reformat/install. So now I've been trying it again for the last few hours and now the PC is stuck. After I boot from the CD XP loads all of the generic files to prepare for an XP install, afer that's done you get the Setup is starting Windows message at the bottom but that's it...it's frozen...

I'm thinking it's because there's a partial, incomplete install of XP on there but how the F am I supposed to fix it?
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Masonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Ok, gonna provide as much info as possible here

The other day my mo-bo and video card went bye bye. Got that taken care of and figured now is a good time to reformat. I start that but I got an error part way through....which was my fault. I noticed that a fan was unplugged and went to plug it in...well my dumbass knocked off the connector to the hard drive. So naturually I get the blue screen of death...great...right in the middle of a reformat/install. So now I've been trying it again for the last few hours and now the PC is stuck. After I boot from the CD XP loads all of the generic files to prepare for an XP install, afer that's done you get the Setup is starting Windows message at the bottom but that's it...it's frozen...

I'm thinking it's because there's a partial, incomplete install of XP on there but how the F am I supposed to fix it?
when you tried to reinstall XP after knocking out the HDD connector, did you perform another format? my advice would be to go through the windows setup, delete the entire partition, create a new one, and let it go through the full NTFS format. if it's still giving you problems at the same point, it may very well be an issue with your RAM. If that's the case, try reinstalling XP with only one of the sticks of RAM in the computer.

let me know how that goes!

p.s. - masonitechnologies.com
<Tru2chevy> ya
<Tru2chevy> my friend had just sent me a pedobear pic
Masonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Frosty

I don't even get that far...I can get to right before that....after it loads all of the generic files then it says at the bottom Setup is starting Windows....it just freezes there, can't get to the partition part.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Masonite

Quote:
I don't even get that far...I can get to right before that....after it loads all of the generic files then it says at the bottom Setup is starting Windows....it just freezes there, can't get to the partition part.
try removing one stick of RAM, then. if no change, try switching the RAM, removing the other one, etc.
<Tru2chevy> ya
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Masonite

also, it may sound silly, but try removing the XP cd, wiping it with a soft, non-abrasive, DRY towel, and reinserting the disc.
<Tru2chevy> ya
Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Frosty

already did all of the above lol

i'm thinking maybe the SATA drivers got knocked out? No sata driver floppy with the motherboard though

Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Masonite

Quote:
already did all of the above lol

i'm thinking maybe the SATA drivers got knocked out? No sata driver floppy with the motherboard though
you don't normally need additional drivers unless you're dealing with RAID drives. go into the BIOS and see if the motherboard even recognizes your hard drive. it might have been damaged when the cable was disconnected while information was being written.
<Tru2chevy> ya
Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Frosty

It just magically started working...wtf lol

Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
Masonite

Quote:
It just magically started working...wtf lol
it sensed that my next statement was going to be "give me a call, and i'll arrange to come by and take a look". out of fear and respect, it suddenly remembered its place.
<Tru2chevy> ya
Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
Frosty

LOL

The only thing I did was change what power port the SATA cable went into...I wasted all these hours over something stupid....

Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
Masonite

Quote:
LOL

The only thing I did was change what power port the SATA cable went into...I wasted all these hours over something stupid....
funny how it's always the simple answer that fixes things

anyway, glad to hear things are working. keep me posted.
<Tru2chevy> ya

Last edited by Masonite; 04-29-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Frosty

I hate computers.....I missed out on a day of playing World of Warcraft because of this stupid thing lol

Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Frosty

...and the saga continues...

This board won't recognize the new Nvidia 9600gt card I got...it'll only recognize my ATI card...now granted the 9600 could be DOA but what are the chances of that.

Masonite, any ideas?

Last edited by Frosty; 05-01-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Knipps

Quote:
I hate computers.....I missed out on a day of playing World of Warcraft because of this stupid thing lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1237331943191.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2862  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.

Last edited by Knipps; 05-01-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
Frosty

I'm not that bad...

Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
enRo
13 Second Club

Unless I missed it, what kinda board do you have? Did u uninstall ATI drivers, shut down, remove old card and install new card, then install latest nvidia drivers?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Frosty

Biostar TA770 SE board

Yes, uninstalled ATI drivers, swapped cards but the board isn't recognizing the card...meaning I get no signal to the monitor....the board doesn't have onboard video.

I'm thinking the card is dead but the fan turns on...I don't know...

Old 05-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Biostar TA770 SE board

Yes, uninstalled ATI drivers, swapped cards but the board isn't recognizing the card...meaning I get no signal to the monitor....the board doesn't have onboard video.

I'm thinking the card is dead but the fan turns on...I don't know...
Did you plug in the 4-pin power connector on that video card?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Tsar
MIR

Is your PSU strong enough? I had that problem once
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
Is your PSU strong enough? I had that problem once
Yes, absolute minimum for a 9600gt is 400w.

So really, you should have around a 550w PSU
Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #21
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enRo View Post
Did you plug in the 4-pin power connector on that video card?
I can't believe you'd recommend something SO stupid...I mean...how retarded do you think I am?????????????????????????????

..............so yeah, I didn't see the connector on the video card...there's a plug on the board for it....I thought that was it......

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
I can't believe you'd recommend something SO stupid...I mean...how retarded do you think I am?????????????????????????????

..............so yeah, I didn't see the connector on the video card...there's a plug on the board for it....I thought that was it......

Thanks!
Are you being serious or sarcastic? There was an occassion where i forgot to plug my 2nd video card in and i was like WTF ****s not working!!!

I asked cuz it really is a common error asked on a few PC sites.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #23
Frosty

First part was sarcasm, second part was being serious, I missed the plug lol

Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
Tsar
MIR

*facepalm*
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #25
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
I missed the plug lol

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge