Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

8-71

Just curious here, no real plans of doing this...

But at work, we are kinda phasing out the Detroits, they don't meet Tier 2 (duh) and parts for em are getting harder to find.

That being said, we kinda sorta have a small mountain of 6-71, and 8-71 blowers...and I would imagine this is a similar scene with marine appliances, so I could prob pick one up for cheap..

Now, I know they are the same blower as the ones used on cars, but you need a new lower intake to make em work, any one know what the pricing on the lowers is?

Also, diesel blowers are gear driven, so I would need a belt drive setup too. Guesses on an estimate of how much to make this work?

Like I said, not going out and doing this tmmr, just curious as to how much it would cost to make work. I mean, it would make that 4" cowl useful....
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

You have an LT1, why bother.

Those blowers are pretty big, you would have to cut the cowling under the windshield to fit it.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
LTb1ow

Yup, and can make up to 35psi of boost too. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
TEKHAWK

A 6-71 blower will first need the one side where it hangs on the engine machined off to match the other side of the blower. Now it will be able to bolt to an intake. You will have to change both the front and the rear bearing plates. The stock front plate is too weak for a high RPM application as opposed to a diesel which is low RPM's. You will need a belt drive system also. All parts are available from companies such as Wieand, Dyers, BDS, the Blower shop, Hampton, Littlefield, Bowers, B&M etc. Intakes are available from most of these companies also.
I'm assuming the 8-71 blower you have is actually an 8v-71 which is more or less useless in a gas engine application. I don't believe anyone makes a system for that blower. You could probably buy an entire 6-71 blower system and drive unit from Weiand for about $2900.00. Summit carries Weiand systems. Then you'll need some type of induction weather it be carbs or injected. It'll get quite expensive when you start piecing it all together.
Making it all fit on an F-Body will definitely be an adventure.
Frank...
TEKHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
LTb1ow

Yea, thats what I had kinda realized. Also, an 871 is a very tall blower... Ah well.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning