Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
coldkilla

Bad gas???

my car ran fine this morning and then i pulled into a sunoco and got a whole tank of premium. as soon as i hit the street the car had no power, stumbled, sputtered, and wouldnt idle right but it doesnt stall. it wouldnt even really go faster than 35mph. this problem was all throughout the rpm range, and starts as soon as i turn the car on. the whole car shakes violently when in gear as well. i checked my plugs and wires and all seems good. ive never had a tank of bad gas before but my dad said it sounds like a got a tank with water in it. does this sound like the case? i already dumped a can of gas dry in there, hopefully this helps.

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
NP_00'T/A
12 Second Club

probably it happened to me.... they put in regular gas instead of premium and the car just sucked afterwards. Try throwing in some dry gas stuff to soak up the water .
Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

just hope you didnt get the same type of "gas" that smokingss got in his 2001 SS (RIP).
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
V
Stalker

yea... i had gotten some type of diesel mix at a shell in hawthorne... lets just say i had a ventilated block shortly after... I contacted the "NJ department of weights and measures" about it and they said it happens more than youd think, but they couldnt prove anything in my case since the stations tanks appeared to have been cleaned and refilled between when i got gas and when they tested it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
coldkilla

well hopefully its not that, my receipt said premium 91 on it but like in your case they couldve had the wrong stuff in the tank. im also hoping its not, darest i say it... the optispark. oh well. friday is the first chance ill have to drain/siphon the tank out. ill refill it, throw in more gas dry and see what happens. if it is the opti then it seems like ill have something to do next weekend and i might as well get a new timing chain while im down there. its always something...

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Oddball

Makes me glad the old LG4 runs like a **** brick house on 87.

Of course it is also as slow as one too but it sounds great

Daily Driver: 2011 Ford Expedition EL (4 very tall kids means suck it up for a while)
Crisis Car: 1986 Chevy Camaro IROC: 5.0L 4BBL Carb, 5-speed, T-tops, "Good afternoon officer how fast was I going" red.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Brando56894
15 Second Club

you mean a brick ****house oddball??
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #3

OG!
Brando56894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
Animal

No he means ****house. I have an LG4 too.

j/k, it can sound good though!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
89 Trans Am WS6

Id go with water.

What sunoco station was it?

Dont forget, the fuel we have now, isnt fuel we had last year.

Running regular in your formy, wouldnt give you that kind of trouble.

Were using a E10 fuel in NJ now (10% Ethanol) that reacts VERY badly with water. A small amount of water in your tank (Or the under ground storage tank) will ruin the fuel. The term is "Phase seperation". The ethanol strips away from the gasoline when water is introduced thus leaving a really low octane non burnable muck. It will be really cloudy and can clog injectors, filters, etc.

Being we just got a TON of rain recently, id bet on that. If the station got a delivery in the rain, its very probable.

Id change your filter and look at what comes out.

Try throwing some iso-dry in the tank or something.

Hope it clears up for ya.

EDIT: and for the same rainy reason it could be a opti problem ;x
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Actually, it turned out to be his ECM taking a dump....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
coldkilla

yeah it turned out that my ecm had moisture in it and had been going out for awhile, giving me most of the little electrical gremlins that kept popping up from time to time. its sorted out now.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning