Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

4th gen carpet

ok i bought some seats for my 95 z28 a4 and i figured while i had them out, why not do some carpet? what does it entail? all the plastic trim and sills, center console, seat belts, and obviously the seats. any how to's? mainly the console because i haven't done one yet. any tips? and a good place to get the molded carpet? any input and info is most welcome....thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
ok i bought some seats for my 95 z28 a4 and i figured while i had them out, why not do some carpet? what does it entail? all the plastic trim and sills, center console, seat belts, and obviously the seats. any how to's? mainly the console because i haven't done one yet. any tips? and a good place to get the molded carpet? any input and info is most welcome....thanks!
i'm doing the same next month. oem is cut and molded but aftermarket is only molded so you need to cut it yourself. OEM costs a arm and a leg but a clean low mileage junkyard carpet is your cheapest and easiest bet. I am doing aftermarket because I want a black carpet and GM never made one. i have a write-up for it that i can send your way once your ready if you decide to go aftermarket. sorry if that doesnt make sense, I'm kinda tired.

www.stockinteriors.com
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

thanks for the link. i have a tan interior and i'm not sure what color that would be on the basic carpet. i think i want to go a little darker then stock too. pm me the how to when you get a chance. i don't say no to info! oh and OEM is a no no. gm is not cheap
Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
thanks for the link. i have a tan interior and i'm not sure what color that would be on the basic carpet. i think i want to go a little darker then stock too. pm me the how to when you get a chance. i don't say no to info! oh and OEM is a no no. gm is not cheap
why not a used carpet?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i dono. best i could get is 6 years old. and if i pull it outta a junker, who knows if there is moisture in it. its doable but i would prefer getting that aftermarket carpet.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
i dono. best i could get is 6 years old. and if i pull it outta a junker, who knows if there is moisture in it. its doable but i would prefer getting that aftermarket carpet.
understandable, just curious. some people prefer the pre-cut. most people that get the aftermarket prefer the pre-cut the second time around
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

well i'll call the chevy dealer tomorrow and see how far i have to bend over. yay for shop discounts! by cutting....do you mean for all the bolt holes and the console? thats not that bad...my truck carpet came with the area i needed to cut outlined on the back. that was easy. if i get a good deal i'll let u know.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
well i'll call the chevy dealer tomorrow and see how far i have to bend over. yay for shop discounts! by cutting....do you mean for all the bolt holes and the console? thats not that bad...my truck carpet came with the area i needed to cut outlined on the back. that was easy. if i get a good deal i'll let u know.
yeah the holes for the seatbelts and seat brackets and console etc... but you also have to cut the excess off the ends. remember, you can always use your stocker as a reference so you can make basic cuts while its out of the car and then trim as necessary. it really doesn't sound all too hard. i'm pretty hard pressed on going aftermarket so i can get black
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

well i called the local gm dealer hoping for a deal....all colors discontinued! i was bummed. thats a good move using the stock as a reference. when u say black, u mean black? cuz my v6 beater has a dark carpet. i dont know how close to black it is but its pretty dark. i would call it black.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
well i called the local gm dealer hoping for a deal....all colors discontinued! i was bummed. thats a good move using the stock as a reference. when u say black, u mean black? cuz my v6 beater has a dark carpet. i dont know how close to black it is but its pretty dark. i would call it black.
no its called ebony. black it a full rich black. i wish my car was home i could take a picture and show you teh difference because my carpet is ebony and my mats are black
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah ur right. i looked at it some. u got that how to?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
yeah ur right. i looked at it some. u got that how to?
this is one of them: i lost the other, but i'll find it soon. this is more in depth in writing, the other has a better visual

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ght=carpet+how

edit for pics of the carpet i want:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ht=gts+corbeau

edit again: found the one with pics, go to page 8 of the thread:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ght=carpet+cut
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Stevoone

I looked on the parts computer at work to see if I could get an idea on OEM carpet. All the carpet for a 95 F body has been discontinued from GM. Would a carpet from a later year work? Or was there body/interior changes?
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
I looked on the parts computer at work to see if I could get an idea on OEM carpet. All the carpet for a 95 F body has been discontinued from GM. Would a carpet from a later year work? Or was there body/interior changes?
all the same. try a 00-02 and see how much the ebony or tan is. thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
HardcoreZ28

I used ACC carpeting in my IROC and I'm happy with it. You can get it through a number of sources including Year One. Best bet is to remove everything from the interior and let the new carpeting sit in place for a day or two to settle.....then make your cuts and leave a little extra on there because if you cut too much you'll be very very unhappy. If you leave extra you can hide it under all the plastic panels. The center console is very easy...you really only need to cut the hole for the shifter I believe.
Also...this is very helpful....any bolts for the console, seatbelts, etc should be left in place when you sit the new carpeting down. Then you can feel them poking through and know exactly where the holes need to be cut. Trying to find the open holes after can turn into a nightmare.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
Stevoone

I looked up a 2000 Z28, here are the part numbers. Not sure what the vin codes mean, probably auto or manual. The prices didn't seem too high to me until I looked at the after market carpets. There were also listings for Neutral and Pewter, they should be around the same price.

RPO F87
Ebony P/N 10420491 $582.66

RPO F67
Ebony P/N 10410768 $568.85
Old 05-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

hmmm...so which whould be tan? neutral? thanks for checking it out.

hardcore- yeah i remember doing the bolt trick when i did my truck's carpet. thanks for the tips!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #18
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
hmmm...so which whould be tan? neutral? thanks for checking it out.

hardcore- yeah i remember doing the bolt trick when i did my truck's carpet. thanks for the tips!
so we doing this or what?! i'm freakin excited now to ditch that coffee stained carpet and get some more sound deadening under the carpet

paul- should the new carpet be glued in?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #19
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

my carpet is singed (sp?) in some spots. its bad. i'm gunna call the dealer monday and see what % i get off. probably gunna go aftermarket though....see whats what 1st
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
Stevoone

The prices I listed were regular cost. As much as I'd like to give you dealer cost I don't think I could sneak it past my boss. I work in the shop and I have to get him to order stuff and write sale's tickets. If you know someone at an independent garage they can call the GM dealer and my boss usually gives them trade price. Dealer cost on the carpets were both around $299 and I think trade price was $375ish.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah my father owns a shop. and i work there. i gotta call my dealer back and see if he can get the newer rugs...thanks again though

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance