Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #51
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post

If the BRZ had some more power it would be one of the best bang for the buck cars ever made.
The power is just fine, the car is 200HP/ > 2,800lbs = 14:1, and with a 53/47 weight distribution, that's just fine for someone who wants a sporty car and can be danced on the edge grip/drift and be a little forgiving if taken to a proper facility to test that. Adding more power is only going to ruin the handling characteristics IMO. The point of this car is not speed, but handling in spirited driving/autocross/test n tune.

Quote:
Just remember BRZ/FRS = sports car WRX/STI = rally car.
No one needs a rally car in Jersey, there's no where around here to do it, and unless you've attended a rally school, I say don't attempt to go down a back road and attempt a Sebastian Loeb. Though I do like Evo's/Subie's, and I thought about owning one, their use around here is moderate at best since we do have bad winters, but unless you compete in auto crossing, or track on occasion, which 9 out of 10 owners do not, they are pointless to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #52
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
The point of this car is not speed, but handling in spirited driving/autocross/test n tune.
Yup.

And don't get me wrong WayFast, there are some really fast WRX/STI cars that I've seen running the cones, but the handling characteristics, firm steering and smaller size are what make the BRZ a better auto-x car.

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #53
jam01

first think of what you want, not what everyone else wants. i personally hate Japanese and such cars, there expensive to fix same as European cars. i was just going over this with my daughter, she wanted a used mercedes, bmw or volvo. this is her first car and i tried explaining that along with a payment she would have to insure it and more than likely have to make repairs sooner than later. just make sure you buy something that you can live with for at least as long as the loan, dont settle
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #54
Slow-V6

Dont get a car that you will be bored of or just settled for. It will bother you everytime you drive it. Thats what I did with my C4 Vette.. Wanted a C5 but settled for a C4. Got sick of it 4 months down the road and traded it in on a C5.

I loved my Nissan 300zx. It was a beutifull car. Problem was when **** broke it was damn exspensive. I never thought that a car 18 yrs old it would still cost around 1000 for a used CPU!!

As far as using 93 octane on a daily driver.. The G8's run on 87!! The car did good in the little snow we got this year.

I would go test drive cars and see what you think.. Some dealers will let you take cars over night or over the weekend to see if you like them.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 08-25-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #55
NastyEllEssWon

WRX is inspired by a rally car but its by no means a rally car. take a stock subaru off roading and you're not going to be pulling 3 feet jumps and ultra cool edge of the road power slides.

The FRS/BRZ reminds me of the 240's of the day. its not meant for huge power, but it'll row through some choppy waves
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #56
shadowfire

so what did you pick?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #57
1320B4U

If you get rid of the t/a buy something that fits all molds. Relatively good gas mileage, stick (stick cars seem to hold your attention longer-a drivers car), WINTER ability (yes a rwd can make it thru almost anything w/blizzacks and weight but you want the proven ability to go anywhere at anytime), and can haul people (2 seaters lose their appeal to your friends when they always have to drive).

I've had almost everytype of car...come to think of it every type (2 seater/ 4 seater/ small and large pickup, suv's, sedans etc...you want something that is a 'jack of all trades' if its going to be your only car...wrx sti /evo VIII or under imo (its an f'ing shame what the new ones are)..g37x coupe or built suv...tbss/gc srt-8 (i say it again..lol)...even a wrangler will appeal to a lot of folks due to the 4-season fun factor but if speed is what you want you'll have to take the drug for that car. One of the best cars i've ever owned was when i traded in my '89 iroc on a '90 talon tsi/awd..for college it was the best..and moded was even better..got over a 120k and 8 years out of a used awd car that really fit all the desires i needed at the time. I just came back from carlisle in the vette and was happy to get outta that thing...have to monitor roads, inclines, dead animals in the street, etc..gets old fast.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #58
WS6_CAIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfire View Post
so what did you pick?
Nothing yet, still plenty of time to think about it and take everyone's suggestions into consideration
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #59
BonzoHansen
Admin.

lol the subaru is about as much a rally car as the camaro is a giant robot

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #60
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post

ah scott you made my day with this one. i love how everyone hears WRX or EVO and they say OH ITS A RALLY CAR. lol even the STI when compared to the actual rally off road Impreza's are completely different.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #61
WayFast84

First off I'm not trying to hijack.
Quote:
The power is just fine, the car is 200HP/ > 2,800lbs = 14:1, and with a 53/47 weight distribution, that's just fine for someone who wants a sporty car and can be danced on the edge grip/drift and be a little forgiving if taken to a proper facility to test that. Adding more power is only going to ruin the handling characteristics IMO. The point of this car is not speed, but handling in spirited driving/autocross/test n tune.

No one needs a rally car in Jersey, there's no where around here to do it, and unless you've attended a rally school, I say don't attempt to go down a back road and attempt a Sebastian Loeb. Though I do like Evo's/Subie's, and I thought about owning one, their use around here is moderate at best since we do have bad winters, but unless you compete in auto crossing, or track on occasion, which 9 out of 10 owners do not, they are pointless to own.
No one NEED's any performance car. 9/10 Sports cars owners don't go to the track either so the wrx is just like any other car. They are not pointless to own. We all have DD's and beaters and park our cars in the winter but the wrx is a performance car that can be just as quick, handle better and be good in the snow. Got kid's? This car just go much more practical huh?

Also I disagree with you on the power aspect of the BRZ. Throw on a set of better tires on it and give it 25 more horses and more torque and it would be a much better car, 0-60 in 6.7 seconds? That's a joke. WHEN the turbo brz comes out with more power, it's gonna be a BEAST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
WRX is inspired by a rally car but its by no means a rally car. take a stock subaru off roading and you're not going to be pulling 3 feet jumps and ultra cool edge of the road power slides.

Agreed. Plus if you take a 38k STI on jumps

Quote:
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #62
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

My friend just bought a subaru brz, pretty nice looking car. Little unique rwd sports car with some creature comforts like navi, heated seats, etc.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #63
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
First off I'm not trying to hijack.

No one NEED's any performance car. 9/10 Sports cars owners don't go to the track either so the wrx is just like any other car. They are not pointless to own. We all have DD's and beaters and park our cars in the winter but the wrx is a performance car that can be just as quick, handle better and be good in the snow. Got kid's? This car just go much more practical huh?
I don't think it's hijacking when you bring in real life slapping a motorhead in the face. It's stuff that can mean keeping a car long term and having a big when you realize that life changed and the "practical" car you bought really wasn't so practical.

Granted, I kept my Malibu for true DD duty, but I realized this with my Trans Am a month or two ago. That's why it's for sale. I don't want to sell it since it's a great driver now but it doesn't make sense to have anymore. Too far to drive to work, no place to store it, and no reason for 2 weekend only cars at this point in my life.

Jobs move, people move, gas prices go up, you have to park in crowded supermarkets with metal carts, you have to drive in snow/on salt, etc etc. You don't need to buy a frigging Daewoo to suffer through every day (as that would get boring as hell) but giving yourself too much leeway on the "fun" part of the equation might make you buy something you have to dump later (and lose $ on).

Regarding the WRX, AWD doesn't always equal great in the snow. You need proper tires for that, and that's not bringing ground clearance into the equation. The WRX is also not a great car with kids. The monumental amount of crap you have to haul with you would not fit. Granted it would be fine for dropping a kid at day care and maybe going to the supermarket, but forget about going to the beach, etc. And that's talking about only 1 kid. 2, forget it altogether. Yeah, most of the people on here aren't thinking that far ahead, but if you do, ending up with no car payment when a kid is born is really a big deal.

I get that none of this really makes a popular response on a performance car forum, but in my eyes that's the way it is.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #64
88WS-6

Don't forget that kids = chicken nuggets and coca cola in your back seat.

Usually not a good mod for WRXs or any sports cars...

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #65
WS6_CAIT

I would just like to point out that I'm not planning on having kids anytime soon haha although I can see why that would be an important factor to consider for some people
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #66
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6_CAIT View Post
I would just like to point out that I'm not planning on having kids anytime soon haha although I can see why that would be an important factor to consider for some people

lol neither did i 10 years ago.....needless to say my son is 9
Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #67
Blacdout96

Quote:
It may not be a WRC car off the lot, but to a young person, many believe they can join the starting line after installing their Cobb shifter , that's the problem, and why many are wrapped around a tree or lamp post.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #68
Blacdout96

Oh and one thing if I may point out about the BRZ/FR-S, the seats are not for the wide variety of people. I'm a size 34 waist, and the sides were pinching me in it, so if you have a few extra pounds, you might want to take that into consideration.

Quote:

Last edited by Blacdout96; 08-28-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #69
1320B4U

When i think wrx i think sti and when i think sti i conjure images of a new 2012-13 white wagon sti myself.....love the wagons. Thats a decent family cruiser...i don't think 1 kid makes you need a minivan or escalade, my parents did fine w/a sentra and 2nd gen. An awd sti has around 7" of ground clearance...enough for snow drifts...if you put snows on that thing you can go anywhere as long as your not a retard. Don't get me wrong, im no subaru fanatic but turbo/awd/seating for 5 just makes sense for someones only car.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #70
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I think this thread has proven why you should all be driving a 4x4 crew cab denali Dmax 2500.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #71
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
I think this thread has proven why you should all be driving a 4x4 crew cab denali Dmax 2500.
/thread.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #72
Blacdout96

Nothing says blocking out the sun like Rolling Coal.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #73
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Nothing says blocking out the sun like Rolling Coal.
Where did you see the word cummins in anything I said?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #74
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post

Sold.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #75
1320B4U

haha

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge