Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
FoodStampsz

Exclamation Transmission Choice

Ok so I just blew the transmission in my 86 bird. Had a stock T5 non world class. Blew 3rd and 4th gear going 12.4's @ 112 Car makes just under 500hp to the flywheel and 485ish tq. Going to be mostly street driven with some track. I need something that can hold the power and not fail me.

With that being said as far as replacements there is a guy in florida who builds WC t5's going 10's that can hold up to 600hp and I would be able to keep my current setup, clutch, shifter etc. I found another guy who builds t56's that can hold 600hp for a little bit more but I would be gaining an extra gear. On the flip side I would be losing my setup and spending more that way as well with parts for the swap. In either instance I don't have a core. Automatic is pretty much out of the question.

What should I do?
FoodStampsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Talk to Bob Hanlon ->

If nothing else he will have a lot of good information for you. I seem to remember 5 speed T5/WCT5/TKO style transmissions being his forte.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
transmaro93

yea call up bob hanlon.. hes a sponser over there ------> hes real decent guy. what i will tell you is that even though you dont race very much make sure you rebuild it to handle the power your making. i had my t56 rebuilt and didnt upgrade the output shaft and it broke on only my 7th pass on the car and second time at the track... so just because you dont race alot doenst mean ****. it only takes on hard run to break stuff...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
edpontiac91

I would go with an upgraded T5 and keep all the parts you already have installed and such. The stock T5 was not an option if you ordered the L98 350 option, because the factory figured that it could not handle all that POWER (yeah right)! You got a gift for all the time you could still drive it and not have it blow-up until now.

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph

Last edited by edpontiac91; 05-19-2011 at 07:42 PM.
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

call hanlon, or check with keisler on their new 5 speed, or go t56

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
FoodStampsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpontiac91 View Post
I would go with an upgraded T5 and keep all the parts you already have installed and such. The stock T5 was not an option if you ordered the L98 350 option, because the factory figured that it could not handle all that POWER (yeah right)! You got a gift for all the time you could still drive it and not have it blow-up until now.
Ya it originally had a 305 LG4 & aussie rear which have since been removed I'm leaning towards the T5 just for the cost savings with everything I already have into it. I will try hanlon again in the morning.
FoodStampsz is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline