Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
91black5spd

Auburn Diff Fluid Change

My SS has the SLP Auburn Diff with AAM cover. In the SLP manual it says to only use Quaker State 80w90 nonsyn fluid with threebond 1216 gasket maker.

I can't find this stuff so I bought valvoline 80w90 nonsyn and Permatex gear oil rated silicone. Does anyone else have this diff? If so, do you always use the exact recommended stuff?
Factory SLP Options of 1LE, 345hp lid/dual dual exhaust, Auburn Diff

1991 Pontiac Firebird SOLD
Black w/ grey cloth, T-Tops
5.0L L03 engine w/ T-5 manual Tranny
91black5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Blacdout96

You can use whatever conventional diff oil, as long as it's the same weight, and you add the hypoid addative, at least that's what I've been doing with ym auburn, havent seen/heard any problems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 12-30-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
alamantia

Same here, I just use 80w 90 conventional oil with that little bottle of the GM additive. I put the additive in first as by the time I get almost 2 quarts of oil through the plug hole it starts weeping out. I never use silicone, just a felpro 55072 gasket. That AAM cover has a oil passage way that is supposed to channel oil slinging off the ring gear thru the channel thus cooling it and re-entering the oil by the carrier bearings thru those two holes that are there for the case spreader AAM uses to install the gears. You just have to make sure the gasket doesnt block off those two holes for the oil to travel through the passage way in th ecover. I have never seen a AAM cover that has a magnet like the stamped steel ones do. So i cleaned that groove off in the bottom of the pumpkin real good with brakleen and I epoxied a small magnet there like the magnet is epoxied to the stamped steel cover. I dont know if the epoxy was necessary, I mean, its a magnet, it sticks. But I didnt want it coming loose and getting stuck between the pinion and ring gear. Now when i change the oil as soon as I remove the AAM cover I see all the hairy looking metal shavings stuck to th emagnet that arent floating around my diff.
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
91black5spd

I would like to use the flepro gasket since it'll be easier. I havent taken the cover off yet so I dont know what the holes look like. WIll I need to cut holes in the felpro gasket? Or is it a matter of lining it up so it doesnt cover them?
Factory SLP Options of 1LE, 345hp lid/dual dual exhaust, Auburn Diff

1991 Pontiac Firebird SOLD
Black w/ grey cloth, T-Tops
5.0L L03 engine w/ T-5 manual Tranny
91black5spd is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline