Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
The_Bishop
Power Member

Camaro Audio Update

Well, I got tired of jerking around with the FM transmitter I was using to stream music from my phone over the car's radio.

So, I updated.

All the fancy. Bluetooth, USB, control the phone from the radio, etc.

No CD, but who cares?

I ordered speakers, figuring the speakers in the car were stockers but it turns out they're aftermarket and better than the ones I ordered, so I left them in. It took longer to solder and shrinkwrap the adapter harness together and route the bluetooth mic than it did to install the radio. Huge improvement in sound quality.

The stock radio really does sound like crap. The only change was replacing the head unit and it made a *huge* difference.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Nice and functional. My head unit doesn't have an input for CDs either which doesn't bother me one bit. I have a USB stick with MP3s on it. Works perfectly.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Looks good! Thought about replacing mine but it was already upgraded to an alpine unit before I got it, no fancy bluetooth or anything, just an RCA to headphone I put in later (used to just use CDs). Added a 500w 4 channel amp under my seat, new component speakers and a 1000w amp with 10" sub in the back to make long drives more enjoyable, but it's no longer my DD.
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

It looks really clean!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
The_Bishop
Power Member

Blackbird: Yeah, either MP3 files on a stick, or streaming music from Amazon Prime. Mostly streaming these days.

97Camaro: My days of huge stereo systems are long behind me. I'm happy enough with 200 watts in the four factory speaker positions; it sounds crisp and clear while being loud enough to drown out the road noise.

ar0ck: Thanks! That Metra bracket I used has two options, one of which is a spacer to bring the radio bezel out flush with the plate. I didn't use it, as I thought it moved the radio out too far. It helps that the digital media units are only about 1/2 as deep as the CD based units.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech