Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Whoboy580

Fuel Gauge

I have a 1986 Chevrolet Camaro and it came stock with a 305 carb and i pulled the motor out and put in a 383 stroker carb and pulled the stock tank down and got a sump welded into the tank and all the tubes come off of it i got welded shut and i am running a external pump on the frame. here my problem my fuel gauge always reads full.I hooked up the wiring harness back up that is right on top of the tank. The only wires i have hooked up is the wires to the starter and alternator all the other wires are sitting on the side of the car. I just got the car back together. So does anyone have any ideas? sorry if its a stupid question.
Whoboy580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoboy580 View Post
I have a 1986 Chevrolet Camaro and it came stock with a 305 carb and i pulled the motor out and put in a 383 stroker carb and pulled the stock tank down and got a sump welded into the tank and all the tubes come off of it i got welded shut and i am running a external pump on the frame. here my problem my fuel gauge always reads full.I hooked up the wiring harness back up that is right on top of the tank. The only wires i have hooked up is the wires to the starter and alternator all the other wires are sitting on the side of the car. I just got the car back together. So does anyone have any ideas? sorry if its a stupid question.
is the tank full?

the sender uses 0 ohms empty, 90 ohms full. If the wires are shorted, it will also read empty. Check the resistance between the sender wires from the plug under the car behind the rear seat, and see what you have, 90 ohms or infinity.

i assume the sender was removed when parts were welded? was it installed properly and not broken in the process?

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 06-05-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: full/empty
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Whoboy580

I tried disconnecting the the harness on the tank and turning the key on to see if the gauge would go down and no luck. So that I put the harness back on and took the cover off the gauge and put the needle on empty and as soon as i turn the key on it want back above full.
The tank is not full.
parts were removed when welded it and than the tubes on top of the tank was weld shut. I will try what you said.
Whoboy580 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring