Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
mc73nova

I know these are not as in demand as the 68-72's but I think it adds to it because you don't see many of them. Good luck with your project! I love my '73!

If you need any glass, I have all of mine that I pulled out, including a new windshield.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
townsend

yeah i know they are easy to replace, its just getting the old guy to spend the doe on it

thanks for the props on the appearance, it has its little areas that need attention.

all the glass is mint, to the point that we really think the back windows were never put down...thanks for the offer though. the windshield still has the original 73-74 iowa inspection sticker haha

2021 Charger Scat

Wrench/driver 94 Camaro Ellwein 385/D1SC/CPT 4l60e/9" slow pile

Last edited by townsend; 09-24-2012 at 07:19 PM.
townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
townsend

little update: so we went about putting a new holley fuel pump on along with the mr. gasket regulator, russel pressure gauge, and fuel filter.

well we are still having problems. now its when you run the car for a little bit and get the gas sloshing around. something must be either clogging the fuel pickup or the line somewhere before the pump. the car runs great idling and sitting in the driveway, its once you get say 5 miles from the house, that all hell breaks loose. the fuel pressure starts dropping, the filter drains out, then the bowls, then the pressure hits zero. we are really thinking its the line or something since when you take the rubber line from the hardline to the pump off, no fuel spills out after this happens. i cant get the carb set up right since i keep running out of gas.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #29
BonzoHansen
Admin.

are you using a mechanical pump or electric one?

is that a glass filter?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
grazi

Could this be vapor lock???

Last edited by grazi; 09-24-2012 at 07:50 PM.
grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Need to know mechanical or electrical.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
townsend

mechanical fuel pump....put the regulator on since the pump is supposedly a 7.5-8 psi and the summit carb says no more than 7 psi.

yeah bonzo that is a glass fuel filter. should we not be using that? its been 25+ years since hes messed with a carb and i dont know much about the issues with mechanical pumps/fuel regs/fuel filters/etc.

2021 Charger Scat

Last edited by townsend; 09-25-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
BonzoHansen
Admin.

get rid of the glass filter. dangerous. they break and bad things happen. Ignore the old guys when they say they used them back in the day. they also drove drunk for fun and didn't use seat belts lol.

how hard is it to bypass the regulator? just run pump to carb? does that gauge work? does it show pressure cranking when it wont run?

edit: nevermind you said the psi drops. for S&Gs bypass the regulator. how new is that carb? how new is the pump?

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
townsend

thanks for the heads up on the fuel filter. dont want that happening.

to answer your other questions: the carb just came from summit new a month or so ago, the fuel pump is new out of the box 3 days ago.

we had this same problem with the stock original pump with the old 2-barrel original '74 carb. we thought it was just the carb being old and considering the car sat for a while. we also already did bypass the regulator and filter etc. its literally like something gets sloshing around in the tank and then clogs the line or sock or something. we will be dropping the tank soon to see.

Once again I/We really appreciate the input and insight you guys give. I don't come on here enough with work being nuts and having a 19-month old little girl running around. Thank you guys and gals.

2021 Charger Scat

Last edited by townsend; 09-25-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
BonzoHansen
Admin.

yeah, drop the tank. the sock filter on the end may be screwed.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
townsend

turns out the new fuel pump we bought (holley junk from advanced auto) was faulty, i took the fuel pump off my broken down truck and threw it on, no problems at all....

2021 Charger Scat

Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #37
townsend

Car is currently coming apart and going to body shop to fix floors and stuff

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #38
townsend

Little Update: possibly will be having the car go out soon to a very reputable shop for the floor/rocker repairs. Convincing my father-inlaw to stop staring at the damn thing in the garage and get moving on it has been difficult, but now he caught the bug again. No real rush though. We want it done right. Very much leaning towards a pro-touring set-up with some year one 17" magnum wheels. he fell in love with them. Either gonna have a Chassisworks front subframe or a Speedtech front subframe. It's a long way down the road from that, but definitely leaning towards the Speedtech. It just looks waaay beefier and includes a little more for the price, plus it uses stock c5 brakes which is nice considering he doesnt need THAT much brake, just some.

Also, trying to figure out to go crate motor or stroke the stocker thats in it. Possibly going MSD atomic efi as well. We will see. The rear needs a posi too, and decent gears.

Does anybody have any experience with Gear Vendors Overdrives? Looking into that too.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #39
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Blake @ SW knows his stuff. You can put any brakes you want on those spindles. If you are going that far you should mini-tub the rear. DSE is another option. Also, Ridetech has some very cool stuff. Their tru-turn setup for 1st gens makes a stock sub a very viable option.

BTK has a 502/TH400 & GV in his 79 Camaro and loves it. Joe has a SBC/TH350 & GV in his 74 Nova and he like his too. Both will be at the January meet, come out and talk to them about it.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #40
townsend

I am really trying to push him to mini-tub the rear haha. he's a little iffy about it. thanks for the heads up. hopefully we can make it out.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
townsend

interior out so floors can be looked at

oh no no no rust...

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #42
townsend

well today started out like this.....decided what is going on financially for car, and what is getting done first and where. Floors it is! We are going to be having Paul at RPM take care of ALOT of this car. He came out and looked at it, which was awesome, was very straightforward with us, and all in all we feel like its gonna be in the right hands for the repairs needed. so, since we are keeping some costs down, we are making the car a roller for him to do the whole floor/actual body mounts on the body for the subframe/fender tabs/some other rust repairs since he will have it and can do what he needs to. down the road when its time we will be having him install a front clip (yet to be decided, really looking at the speedtech) with all new sheetmetal upfront along with mostly new chrome. still undecided on keeping the body trim stripe on the car, but the vinyl top is staying with the factory yellow paint.

i took off the whole front lighting harness, along with the entire engine harness. we will need to either make new ones or find new ones. this is where having a 74 sucks, because alot of stuff is only listed up to 72 then skips to 75-79. have to see how much is still 72 stuff, the problem is alot of people dont know. engine should be out later this week, along with the brake lines fuel lines exhaust etc.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #43
townsend

update: engine and trans are out, along with brake/fuel lines front to back, e-brake cables, master cylinder, shifter linkage etc. car is damn near stripped except exterior trim glass and dash/column/pedals/door panels. father-inlaw is saving money currently to send it to paul at RPM for the metal work we need done. should be going out soon. speedtech complete front subframe is on order as are the year one magnum wheels and tires, stainless brake and fuel lines, new tank and sender.

bad news was the motor. actually a good thing we tore it down to the shortblock. the cam was getting eaten up, we found gouged lifters, bad rear main seal, clogged oil pump screen, clogged screen in oil filter adapter. i am pretty sure we are going with either a gm performance zz383 or something 383 based. he won't go lsx, no matter how hard i try to convince him. he said his pickup has the ls, we can play with that, but he wants the nova to stay sbc

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #44
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Why the speedtech subframe?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #45
BonzoHansen
Admin.

he wants to turn corner of course!

make sure those YO wheels fit before you mount them!

mimi-tubs still off the table?

nothing wrong with a stout SBC

Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #46
HardcoreZ28

Looks like you guys have some serious progress going on there....sorry to hear about the motor though. Give me a heads up a week or so before you're ready to get it down here.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #47
townsend

yes guys he wants to turn, quite well actually. I tried getting him to look at other subframes like Heidts and stuff, and he wont change his mind. Mini-tubs are very well a possibility. I got my wife on the bandwagon to start pushin for a little more. She's been sending him pics while he is at work of some awesome looking novas with nice wheels/tires and saying "yeah dad we cant fit those without the tubs" haha. the YO wheels i have to call and get the exact specs for. it should turn damn well, i hope.

after talking to various machine shops in the area, he is really leaning to a gmpp zz383 crate motor. for the price and the warranty, he likes it. I have looked at various crate 383's, blueprint is a no-way-in-hell, but has anyone ever heard of www.cnc-motorsports.com? they have some pretty nice packages even in the 350 range, and the 383 range makes really nice power. we are gonna run the slightly built th350 and a stall for a while, until he figures out if he wants a auto with od or a manual trans.

HardcoreZ28 no problem man, we are atleast 4-6 weeks out yet until we will be getting ready to roll it out and bring it down. One of us will definitely give you a heads up atleast a week or two in advance.

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #48
BonzoHansen
Admin.

the speedtech stuff is great, don't 2nd guess it. i assume you'll talk to blake about good matching rear springs?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #49
townsend

2021 Charger Scat

Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #50
townsend

yes we will, but im still trying to convince him to get away from the leafs. i mean, can you make leafs handle? we have brand new multileafs on the back now that we purchased before we decided to take the plunge, and to be honest, the back of the car didnt roll really at all. it doesnt have a rear swaybar, just a new set of multileafs (5 leaf) with caltracs and hd urethane hangers and hd urethane spring pads.

2021 Charger Scat

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects