Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 06-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
karr95

Getting Ready For Paint

Well my sister just got a new windshield dropped in her 92 Camaro today and now I gotta finish getting it ready for paint. I just want to make sure I am doing this right.

I am hitting all of the high spots that need to be sanded down (chips in the paint, rust, etc.) with 150 grit sandpaper. Then I hit it with coat of primer. Then I go over it again with a 400 grit sandpaper and another coat of primer. Is it ok like that to go off for paint or do I need to do more? After that second coat of primer the surface of the car is really smooth.

If anyone is in the Brick area yopu might have seen it. The car is making good progress, I hope this Sunday to fix the cracks in the chin spoiler and repaint the center of her wheels black. She is always driving around town or it is parked at Burger King.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
Teds89IROC

that last coat of primer should be wetsanded with 400 before paint. you also should scuff the whole car, any shiny areas, or....areas w/out new primer. Go to a body supply place and look for "scuff stuff" use that with a grey scuff pad and water. You can actually just do the whole car with it after you've wetsanded the primer, just as a safety precaution. After this you should be all set.

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance