Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
1stIDFO

Remote bleeder questions

I had a clutch installed at Cartek sometime ago and they suggested I put a remote bleeder on it.So I gave them the OK and it's in...I just have no idea how to use it. When I came to pick it up I asked how it was used. I remember him saying something about a phoenix gun and a turkey baster? That was last year so I can't remember exactly he said. Any ideas? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1429829704747.jpg (86.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
V
Stalker

There are two ways I know of. When I added one during my clutch install on my CTS-V I used #2.

#1. you run the bleeder directly into the clutch master. either directly or with a small piece of rubber tubing. After opening the bleeder valve, you just pump the clutch pedal and it cycles all the fluid in a big circle and gets the air bubbles out. You can sometimes also watch to see when bubbles stop coming out depending on your line of sight and such.

#2. Place the end of the remote bleeder down into some type of clear container, such as an empty 20oz. coke bottle. You can add some fluid to the bottle, so the bleeder will be submerged. Open the bleeder and start slowly pumping. The fluid will start filling into the clear container and you'll be able to see air bubbles if you place it in such a way you can pump and watch the container at the same time. When no more bubbles appear, the system is bled. With this method, you must make sure to keep the master full as not to reintroduce air into the system.

The remote bleeder allows the clutch to be bled just without having to lay under the car and to avoid having the fluid run out and down into the bellhousing during the bleeding process. You can do either method with a second person watch or pumping so it can be observed when air bubbles stop coming out.

On the CTS-V's, it was recommended to change the clutch fluid often and a remote bleeder allowed that to be done easy since for that you didnt need to watch for air bubbles. You just drain it into a container while making sure the master was always topped off every so often during the bleeding process.

An additional method is to use a vacuum bleeder setup(or perhaps what the guy meant using a turkey baster) to suck fluid through the system to pull any air bubbles out. I never had the need for that though.

Last edited by V; 04-23-2015 at 06:58 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
1stIDFO

Thanks for the quick and detailed response V! I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow morning.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline