Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Green_Phoenix_LT1

Need help ASAP

Ok I have tried just about everything to find this short in my dads 1996 Blazer 4dr 2wd. The ctsy fuse(fuse #2) blows on contact. i have unplugged everything on that circuit checked all the usual pinch points and grounds. And it still shorts out. This fuse powers the lift glass release, the dome lights, the power mirrors and the power seats. Beofre i give up and have a shop charge me out the ass to find it is there any advice anyone can give me. Again I cant stress enough that EVERYTHING on that circuit is unplugged. The fuse connectors are drawing enough power to melt the tips of the fuses on partial contact. I have also removed the fuse panel and looked inside of it to see if the short is in there and everything appears to be normal.

Please help

Last edited by Green_Phoenix_LT1; 07-14-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Green_Phoenix_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

100% stock Blazer? Does it blow with the engine running or not?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
jts98z28

did you check the grounds of everything it powers? my neon was doing that with the cig lighter and i changed the ground and that worked
jts98z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Phoenix_LT1 View Post
Ok I have tried just about everything to find this short in my dads 1996 Blazer 4dr 2wd. The ctsy fuse(fuse #2) blows on contact. i have unplugged everything on that circuit checked all the usual pinch points and grounds. And it still shorts out. This fuse powers the lift glass release, the dome lights, the power mirrors and the power seats. Beofre i give up and have a shop charge me out the ass to find it is there any advice anyone can give me. Again I cant stress enough that EVERYTHING on that circuit is unplugged. The fuse connectors are drawing enough power to melt the tips of the fuses on partial contact. I have also removed the fuse panel and looked inside of it to see if the short is in there and everything appears to be normal.

Please help
My advice is go to the autozone site and get the wiring diagram and check that circuit and make sure everything is unplugged.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Green_Phoenix_LT1

Yes it is 100% stock blazer. Cigarette lighter and both additional outlets are unplugged. All interior light bulbs are removed and all grounds have been checked.

Yes the fuse blows whether the engine is running or not. I even unplugged all of the door plunger switches and removed the rubber housing that covers the wires going from the body to the doors and i see know signs of a bad wire causing an arc.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

there is more on that circuit. all interior lights, cig lighter, horn relay feed, back glass popper, driver's info display center, interior lamp control module, remote control door lock receiver, and tailgate lock switch from what i can gather.

that is the only fuse popping? i would disconnect connector C200. it is a large connector that feeds most of those components in the circuit. it is on the passenger side up in the dash. pop a fuse in and see if it still burns or not.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Green_Phoenix_LT1

Thanks Im gonna try that. Yest it is the only fuse that keeps popping. Do you happen to have a picture of that connector? Or will it be labeled for dummies like me?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

nah, its just massive and has 20+ wires coming out of it if i had to guess. really should be the only one around there

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring