Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Old school hemi at VIR....in-car video...

I though it would be more appreciated in this forum....

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=Bj1RB6_497c

if it needs to be moved....so be it....

Old School 426 hemi running 5600+ rpm at 160+ mph down the back straight...pretty sweet. The best is at the 1:20 he reels in a mustang like its nobody's business and blows him away....

Another video of the same challenger playing with a ferrari at mid-ohio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4dp...eature=channel

Here's a link to some pics of the car. Nice.....

http://www.glennbunch.com/album/airstrip/

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 11-29-2008 at 04:31 PM.
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

I wouldn't really consider that "playing" with a Ferrari considering once he got by he skipped town on the prototype. lol

Just proves, you can buy a beautiful sports car, but it isn't any faster than the mechanical defect behind the wheel.

That guy in the Challenger is certainly not afraid of curbs either. Watch the spikes on the G meter when he jumps them, you know he was on throttle when he hit.

-Tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
I wouldn't really consider that "playing" with a Ferrari considering once he got by he skipped town on the prototype. lol

Just proves, you can buy a beautiful sports car, but it isn't any faster than the mechanical defect behind the wheel.

That guy in the Challenger is certainly not afraid of curbs either. Watch the spikes on the G meter when he jumps them, you know he was on throttle when he hit.

-Tim
I think he spins the wheels coming out of the hairpin, heading down the back straight in the first video, when he's bringing the power back in.

I hope you aren't referring to the guy in the challenger (or the protoype for that matter) as a mechanical defect behind the wheel? That'd be in poor taste I think. Might not be the baddest car(s) in the world or the fastest driver(s), but it is far beyond what I've built/done......so for that, it gets my attention and my respect.

Here's a link to the build-up of the challenger, I think you could appreciate this.

http://www.glennbunch.com/index.html

I think he actually likes curbs, maybe a little too much. But the size of the meats on that car gotta be 12" or 14" wide? They are huge....

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 11-29-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

By "mechanical defect" I refer to all drivers. I am of the firm belief that the driver is the absolute limiting factor in any race car. Be it driving ability, communication, making adjustments, or any other part of racing that involves the person trying to control the car. Some are better than others, some are vastly better than others, but all fail at some point.

He certainly is not afraid of the curbs, looks like he even dipped into the dust a few times and at the Oak Tree turn he was really diving in on it. I am sure he dropped the tires off the inside there. Scary, there is not much space between the curbing and the ArmCo. That takes some big stones, I have seen more than one suspension collapsed from drivers being too bold that way.

-Tim

Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Blacdout96

Quote:

-Tim
Great vids, I love the sound ,but when I saw the picks, I almost shat my pants...what a wierd design, yet that looks like it was in the class with theDecon Monza's and the Vettes that never were passed on the straights at Daytona in the 70's. Unfortunately, I hate to burst your guys bubbles, that was not a Ferrari, not even close. Do I know what It was, no cause I couldnt see the front, but history shows us Ferrari made the 312PB and ran them between 71-73. they didnt make another prototype till the 333SP in the early 90's.

As for the defect behind the wheel, when talking to a couple crew members form a very prestigious museum, they brought up a good point when I was talkign to them about how they would do with their Corvette Grand Sport against some Jaguars. The Jags had updated suspension, and are worth around 150,000. To us that sounds alot, but the GS is estimated around 8.5million!! so the question is, would you haul ass around a track in a rare multimillion dollar car, tryign to win the race that means nothing but braggin rights, and having a good chance of crashing it? me? no I would go out there to have hot laps, exhibition laps, but leave the real racing to the guys with the lesser valued cars. You could take a Mustang and make it to that years specs, and be able to enter it into vintage events, so not all the cars out there have history, some of them are recently built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
By "mechanical defect" I refer to all drivers. I am of the firm belief that the driver is the absolute limiting factor in any race car. Be it driving ability, communication, making adjustments, or any other part of racing that involves the person trying to control the car. Some are better than others, some are vastly better than others, but all fail at some point.
-Tim
oh ok.....I though maybe you were throwing the guy under the bus. Now I understand and agree. It's the nut behind the wheel that needs the most work.

Ya think that car could be had for $500? I don't know if they make blizzaks in that size though?

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
Great vids, I love the sound ,but when I saw the picks, I almost shat my pants...what a wierd design, yet that looks like it was in the class with theDecon Monza's and the Vettes that never were passed on the straights at Daytona in the 70's. Unfortunately, I hate to burst your guys bubbles, that was not a Ferrari, not even close. Do I know what It was, no cause I couldnt see the front, but history shows us Ferrari made the 312PB and ran them between 71-73. they didnt make another prototype till the 333SP in the early 90's.

As for the defect behind the wheel, when talking to a couple crew members form a very prestigious museum, they brought up a good point when I was talkign to them about how they would do with their Corvette Grand Sport against some Jaguars. The Jags had updated suspension, and are worth around 150,000. To us that sounds alot, but the GS is estimated around 8.5million!! so the question is, would you haul ass around a track in a rare multimillion dollar car, tryign to win the race that means nothing but braggin rights, and having a good chance of crashing it? me? no I would go out there to have hot laps, exhibition laps, but leave the real racing to the guys with the lesser valued cars. You could take a Mustang and make it to that years specs, and be able to enter it into vintage events, so not all the cars out there have history, some of them are recently built.
I admit I couldn't tell you a ferrari from a prototype from a porsche or whatever. I would guess there were multiple classes on track at the same time? Would I even race an $8.5 million car? Not unless it was on a track I had rented for that sole purpose with other people of equal valued cars.

What was funny to me, was from the incar video you couldn't get an idea of how preppared the challenger was, so I was expecting an SCCA Trans-AM type build circa 1969-1970, then I went to the guys website and was like WOW, no wonder he blew by the mustang and left the prototype in another time zone. That's just awesome stuff.

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
SupermanX24

holy **** 172 down to 60 is nuts.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
I admit I couldn't tell you a ferrari from a prototype from a porsche or whatever. I would guess there were multiple classes on track at the same time? Would I even race an $8.5 million car? Not unless it was on a track I had rented for that sole purpose with other people of equal valued cars.

What was funny to me, was from the incar video you couldn't get an idea of how preppared the challenger was, so I was expecting an SCCA Trans-AM type build circa 1969-1970, then I went to the guys website and was like WOW, no wonder he blew by the mustang and left the prototype in another time zone. That's just awesome stuff.
I looked into prototype cars through the 80's, That kind of car would be found in a C2 class catagory with those lines, but the closest that thing looked like was an Ecosse or a Tiga, but the back end is too short to be them, and the lines of the car are very straight. Also looking at the speed, and knowing how the SVRA is letting cars from multiple classes run, I think its an SCCA CSR or DSR class car.

and here's that type of Corvette I was talking about, I wouldnt mind having a 950HP corvette:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
would you haul ass around a track in a rare multimillion dollar car, tryign to win the race that means nothing but braggin rights, and having a good chance of crashing it?
Yes. If I had the money to buy it I have the money to restore it. Worse case scenario, I wreck it, sell it to someone else with the money to fix it, and go buy something else.

They are race cars, to me that means they were built to be driven flat out. Historic races are still races, if you are not out there to drive full speed you are little more than a moving chicane potentially putting other drivers in danger.

-Tim

Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
oh ok.....I though maybe you were throwing the guy under the bus. Now I understand and agree. It's the nut behind the wheel that needs the most work.

Ya think that car could be had for $500? I don't know if they make blizzaks in that size though?
Maybe a few thousand payments of $500. lol

-Tim

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge