Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
SeanC

Help with first time shift light install

Hey guys,

I just got a new Harlan engineering shift light for christmas. I've never done any wiring before (other than some basic replacing of some broken sensors, etc.), and would really appreciate a little guidance. The instructions are pretty straigh forward, but I would feel a lot better with a little help!

The shift light has a Red, black, and green wire coming out of it.

Red wire - Connect this wire to a +12V source. The fuse block is a good choice for this connection, a switch accessory fuse is a prime choice.

Black wire - Ground connection - choose a convenient ground location. A mounting screw or any other metal piece that makes a direct connection to the body will do. The radio ground is also a possibility.

Green wire - This is the tach input for the module. This can be either from the Tach line of the engine computer or from the switched side of an ignition coil

What is the best way to go about finding a fused accesory for the power, and whats the best way to get the wires through (i'm mounting the shift light in the left defroster vent)? Also, there are no instructions on what part of the LT1 PCM is the tach signal. If I don't use the computer, where on the coil is the "switched side"?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions...i'm just not very confident with wiring yet. Theres only one way to learn

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by SeanC; 12-26-2010 at 10:40 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
camaro2you

I hide mine in my dash vent all the time, they don't draw much power so I t into the radio harness for ground and keyed power, then run a 14g wire to the pcm harness connector for the tach signal, the wire color and pin connection differ from the years.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
SeanC

How can I figure out what pin connection on my PCM is the tach signal (96 Trans Am)? Also, what is the best way to tap in to existing wires? Is there some kind of connection that I can get that ties 3 wires together?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

What year is the car?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
SeanC

Its a 1996
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

tap into the cig lighter for power and ground.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 12-27-2010 at 11:41 AM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
SeanC

Thanks for the picture...The picture says 1996-97 doesnt have the keyless entry module...are the wires labeled C220 and C230 still in the same place?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yup, you just won't see that box
Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
SeanC

Awesome, thanks for the info! I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but what is the best way to "tap" into an existing wire? I feel like there's a much better option then soldering 3 wires together and throwing some shrink wrap on it.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Splice-C.../dp/B003L9KWQ4

soldering would be a more permanent way of doing it and your best bet. i would wrap electrical tape around the blue things if you go that route.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring