Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
grazi

Posi Diff Question

I copied this from a thread I just put on LS1 tech:

I 've been recently randomly losing the posi in my 94 Trans Am. I came back from the track yesterday after last two runs had no posi and decided to change gear oil.I pulled off the diff cover to notice that the center spring pack has a decent amount of left to right play. I also noticed the center two gears (top and bottom) have a little wiggle to them. When I spin one of the tires that is jacked up, there seems to be alot of slop from the when the side gears start to contact the top and bottom gears in the diff..I dont have much experience with rears and was hoping someone would let me know if this is normal or what I should be looking for/at. The car is an auto with the 3.23 gear option and I believe it is an Auburn Posi unit with the bright yellow springs.

Last edited by grazi; 09-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.
grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Not sure what you mean with the play, maybe take a video and show what your seeing.

If it one wheeled on you, a band aid is to not add the posi addative when you do the gear oil change. But bottom line, its a 19 year old 10 bolt, and you also been racing it. Personally, if it needs any work, I would save the cash and upgrading to a 12 bolt if continued to be run at the track.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
grazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
Not sure what you mean with the play, maybe take a video and show what your seeing.

If it one wheeled on you, a band aid is to not add the posi addative when you do the gear oil change. But bottom line, its a 19 year old 10 bolt, and you also been racing it. Personally, if it needs any work, I would save the cash and upgrading to a 12 bolt if continued to be run at the track.
I didnt know you can read minds.....I'll change the oil while I'm at it and see what happens but I am prepared to either swap rear or carrier unit. After researching, it seems that the auburn carrier is not servicable or adjustable so I think it is wha it is. For anyone else that may want to respond-When I pinch the two ends of the spring pack, I can wiggle them left and right about 1/4 inch and I just wasnt sure if that is normal or not. Deadtrend, nice car by the way.
grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazi View Post
.... Deadtrend, nice car by the way.
thanks ..

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline