Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Whoboy580

Clutch problems

I am need of some help, I am at the end of my road with this transmission. I have a 1986 Camaro with TKO600 Trans,Lakewood Bellhousing (15020). I have Lakewood Fork Pivot ball (15501). Now here my problem. I just installed my new motor, bolted everything up. Bellhousing was indexed before installing the motor.Fired up the new motor ran great, tried to put the car in gear no luck. So I jacked the car up and started looking for anything that didnt look right. I know the throw out bearing is/was installed right because I already want thru that before. I rechecked the slave cylinder that was fine, looked inside the housing thru the clutch boot hole everything looked good. Only problem I seen was maybe the clutch fork hitting the transmission bolt at the bottom so I took that out and tried to put it in gear again. Still nothing, so I jacked the car up again and I notice the clutch fork looked on a angle so I looked inside and the forks indent wasnt in the ball so I loosen the slave cylinder and pulled the fork over so it was, installed everything, lowered the car fired it up still nothing. So I than turned the ball out towards the trans and still nothing.So I than turned the ball in towards the motor and started the car and it want into gear but when I let the clutch out it didnt move and the motor didnt die down or anything so I jacked it up and Found that the throw out bearing broke, and over extend it the slave cylinder which made the zip tie break on it. So now I have the slave cylinder off. When say the Throw out bearing broke the back half toward the trans came apart so I looks like there is a big washer on the Transmission shaft.

Now I figured i would see if anyone could help me out here. Do I need to order a longer clutch fork? the one I was using was the stock one, I tried the LAK-15500 before and I sent it back cant remember why tho. I know all this worked before because it was on my other motor before. Also does anyone know where to set the Pivot ball too? Before I moved it I had it at about the stock location compare to my old bellhousing. Please help..

THANK YOU
Whoboy580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Whoboy580

well i found the answer out for the pivot ball 4.750"

http://www.danhardison.com/misc/PIVOTDOC.JPG
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Whoboy580

Well I took the trans out and everything. Here what I found. the throw out bearing stuck to the tremec casing that it rides on, and cracked the case and blew the slave cylinder.

What I did/am doing to fix the problem. I reindexed the bellhousing,reset the pivot ball to 4 3/4" from back of engine saver plate, inspected the flywheels (everything good) and installed it, inspected the clutch (no damage) and reinstalled it, Inspected the pressure plate(no damage) and reinstalled it, inspected and reinstalled the stock clutch fork, installed a brand new throw out bearing, and installed a brand slave cylinder. I also installed a new case on the tremec. I have not installed the trans,drive shaft yet.

Will update the post when i do
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Keep us posted. I didn't have anything to say but this is an interesting issue.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Whoboy580

Well I installed the trans today, it want right in with no problems, new installed the new slave cylinder, and started the bleeding process. with everything installed and trans filled here came the moment of truth, fired it up and want into to gear with no problems and took for a quick ride and no problems. Its alive again, Thanks for everyones help

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline