Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
bigz28man

T56 popping out of 5th?

Question for you guys, i driving down the parkway and go to put the car into 5th gear and it "pops" out of 5th. 1-4 no problems, i didnt try 6th. So at first im thinking bad clutch, but if that were the case this "poping" out of gear would happen in every gear. So now im thinking internal issue, like a bad fork or key. Anyone else experience this? So I'll start my day checking tranny fluid and grab a magnet to see if any metal attaches to it. I dought its a simple shifter adjustment but I'll kill 10 minutes checking that. Looks like this car might be put away early for winter
97' Z28, M6 w/ golen engines 396 Lt1, rpm transmission level 6 t56, moser 12 bolt eaton posi w/ 4.11 gears, Hooker super comp long tube headers ory-pipe, slp loudmouth 1 .Full BMR suspension, Bilstein shocks. Torqhead 24x conversion.
02' SS, M6 BMR lowering springs, adj. pan-hard bar, Bilstein shocks. Lt1 front end conversion. Ford 9"
bigz28man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Sounds like an internal issue. Probably worn synchros but it needs to be torn down in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz28man View Post
Question for you guys, i driving down the parkway and go to put the car into 5th gear and it "pops" out of 5th. 1-4 no problems, i didnt try 6th. So at first im thinking bad clutch, but if that were the case this "poping" out of gear would happen in every gear. So now im thinking internal issue, like a bad fork or key. Anyone else experience this? So I'll start my day checking tranny fluid and grab a magnet to see if any metal attaches to it. I dought its a simple shifter adjustment but I'll kill 10 minutes checking that. Looks like this car might be put away early for winter
Well, what shifter do you have? Does it have external stops? If you adjust them wrong this is what you get.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
bigz28man

its a hurst shifter
97' Z28, M6 w/ golen engines 396 Lt1, rpm transmission level 6 t56, moser 12 bolt eaton posi w/ 4.11 gears, Hooker super comp long tube headers ory-pipe, slp loudmouth 1 .Full BMR suspension, Bilstein shocks. Torqhead 24x conversion.
02' SS, M6 BMR lowering springs, adj. pan-hard bar, Bilstein shocks. Lt1 front end conversion. Ford 9"
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

There are two types of Hurst. Factory non-adjustable and Billet-Plus adjustable.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
bigz28man

Its the factory, non adjustable. I have the billet one for the Z. The fluid seemed alittle darker then what i was expecting but i drained the fluid and ran a magnet to it....nothing. put new fluid in, started car and put the car in every gear, held every gear while being stationary. I'll run the car down the parkway from exit 63 to 67 and see if it holds 5th.

Last edited by bigz28man; 10-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline