Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

air bag code 26

driver initiator circuit open. 95 LT1. what do i do? i thought it was a bad bag but i replaced it with some random one off of tech and its still the same code and crap. sets as soon as i clear it. somethings effed. i just don't know where to start.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
ins0mnia24

If you previously had the same DTC and problem with the other air bag before you switched it for the one that is in there now then your problem probably isn't the Actual Air bag..

There is a Clock spring that is is located on your steering wheel that your air bag sits on when it is installed
Its job is to maintain a continuous electrical current to your airbag to insure the system is working properly until it is activated to engage your airbag..

You can either gamble on replacing the Clock spring assembly or you will have to take your car some place that has the SIR diagnostic tools to diagnose your problem..
They use a tool that hooks up to the Clock spring that sends a certain amount of Ohms through the wiring to see if the code clears and the Clock spring is bad..
Then if that checks out then the sensors in the front of the car have to be checked..
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...

Last edited by ins0mnia24; 10-16-2008 at 11:15 PM.
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I'm confused?

A code 26 relates to the ECM driver for the emissions system, Specifically the Charcoal canister, EGR, A.I.R. I never heard of a code for the air bag?

The AIR bag light can be set due to a few problems, most deal with the electrical connections, but there is a sensor failure that is somewhat common.

1) The most common is a bad ground. Ffor the Airbags is to the post that is located under the hood, near the red plastic + battery power distribution block. Make sure that's good and all the wires are in good condition.

2) Power is supplied by either the #1 or #2 (differs on some years) pin on the harness located under the dash behind the glove box (Yellow connectors)On on the passenger side, and one under the steering column (again yellow) provides power to the Steering wheel air bag.

** I’ve never played with the airbags myself, but I believe if you disconnect the wire the light will go out? The GM manual has a large and complicated section on how to diagnosis airbag failure. **

3) There is part inside the steering column. It is fairly easy to damage. Happens allot when people are installing headers and have the steering shaft removed, it you turn the steering wheel with the shaft disconnected there is no stop, and this breaks it. (what ins0mnia24 already addressed)

** WARNING ** Be very careful when working on these, if you make a mistake you can set the air bag off! Common for the passenger side air bag lid to flip up with enough force to break the windshield! ** (and we thought the OPTI design wasn't good!)
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I read the whole SRS section in the 99 Z28 manual I have (different setup than earlier 4th gens I believe). My suggestion is get the manual and follow the diagnostic charts to a tee. And you might need a tech II tool to do the tests properly.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins0mnia24 View Post
If you previously had the same DTC and problem with the other air bag before you switched it for the one that is in there now then your problem probably isn't the Actual Air bag..

There is a Clock spring that is is located on your steering wheel that your air bag sits on when it is installed
Its job is to maintain a continuous electrical current to your airbag to insure the system is working properly until it is activated to engage your airbag..

You can either gamble on replacing the Clock spring assembly or you will have to take your car some place that has the SIR diagnostic tools to diagnose your problem..
They use a tool that hooks up to the Clock spring that sends a certain amount of Ohms through the wiring to see if the code clears and the Clock spring is bad..
Then if that checks out then the sensors in the front of the car have to be checked..
ok that makes some sense. i just bought the bag because it was cheap so why not. i think i know someone with a scantool capable of doing that test. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
I'm confused?

A code 26 relates to the ECM driver for the emissions system, Specifically the Charcoal canister, EGR, A.I.R. I never heard of a code for the air bag?

The AIR bag light can be set due to a few problems, most deal with the electrical connections, but there is a sensor failure that is somewhat common.

1) The most common is a bad ground. Ffor the Airbags is to the post that is located under the hood, near the red plastic + battery power distribution block. Make sure that's good and all the wires are in good condition.

2) Power is supplied by either the #1 or #2 (differs on some years) pin on the harness located under the dash behind the glove box (Yellow connectors)On on the passenger side, and one under the steering column (again yellow) provides power to the Steering wheel air bag.

** I’ve never played with the airbags myself, but I believe if you disconnect the wire the light will go out? The GM manual has a large and complicated section on how to diagnosis airbag failure. **

3) There is part inside the steering column. It is fairly easy to damage. Happens allot when people are installing headers and have the steering shaft removed, it you turn the steering wheel with the shaft disconnected there is no stop, and this breaks it. (what ins0mnia24 already addressed)

** WARNING ** Be very careful when working on these, if you make a mistake you can set the air bag off! Common for the passenger side air bag lid to flip up with enough force to break the windshield! ** (and we thought the OPTI design wasn't good!)
yeah i think thats exactly what i did. i will try doing what ins0mnia said. thanks! oh and i was in the airbag computer not the pcm. don't know what obd-I calls it but basically the bcm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I read the whole SRS section in the 99 Z28 manual I have (different setup than earlier 4th gens I believe). My suggestion is get the manual and follow the diagnostic charts to a tee. And you might need a tech II tool to do the tests properly.
i am going to ask my buddy and mention this too. see what he's got or knows who has it! thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Sorry to bump this, but Adam did you ever figure it out?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

ya i fugged it up doing my headers when i had the steering shaft out. you would have to read your code and not go simply on my occurrence though. unless you just had your steering shaft out and spun the wheel around for fun
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
69BirdX
12 Second Club

well with steering shaft out if oyu spin the wheel you will break the clock spring
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

ya thats what i did. i suck
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
LTb1ow

Hm, any chance of breaking that when replacing a throttle cable or no?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

doubt it but anything is possible with you
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
LTb1ow

I googled it, could not find a picture, what am I looking for?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

a way to read your pcm so you can be pointed in the right direction rather than chasing random leads.

the clock spring is internally mounted in the steering wheel. there is a yellow insulation covering two wires that runs out of the wheel. you will see a yellow tag that says caution, SIR. the harness then has two white and two green wires running into the dash. not being a dick and i know you just want the car fixed but you can't guess at this stuff.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
LTb1ow

I failed at teh logic courses.

... I hear ya though, just dunno where to go.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i understand, did you talk to your tuner?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
LTb1ow

Gonna call him tmmr.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring