Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
SeanC

Help with wet carpet after storm

Hey guys,

So I recently replaced one of my T-tops (dumby me didn't lock it down correctly). I just got home from school to check on my car after Irene this past weekend and the drivers side had a pool of water in the front and back seating areas. I vaccumed it out with a shop vac the best I could, but its still wet. What are my options? I'm trying to lighten the car as much as possible for racing while still keeping it nice; do they make a "light weight carpet" for the front section of our cars that I can buy (for a '96 Trans Am)? If not, should i just pull the old one out, shampoo it, and put it back in?

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I would get it out ASAP whether you plan on replacing it or not. It's damn near impossible to get the padding behind the carpet dry while it's in the car and that will just keep moisture on your floors.

There are some lightweight carpets available, or you can also just remove your carpet, dry the steel floor off, pull all of the wet padding off of the back of your stock carpet, clean & dry it the carpet, then reinstall for some free weight savings.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
SeanC

Tru2Chevy, thanks for the response. Looks like i'm pulling the carpet out tomorrow haha. I'm scared to see what I find as far as rust goes, but hopefully everything is fine. The only thing I can seem to find as far as "light weight" carpet goes is something speed inc sells, but everyone says the fitment is mediocre at best. Are there other alternatives? If I do decide to stick with my stock carpet, what is the best way to clean/dry it? (never done anything like this before...). Thanks again!
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

It's a trade off. Most of what gives the stock carpet it's great fit is the backing - which is heavy. Take that part away and you lose a bunch of weight, but also lose some of the fit.

As far as rust goes, you shouldn't have to worry about it from Irene....if water has gotten in before, then it may be another story.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech