Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
alamantia

Restore Oil Additive seems to work

A few months ago I picked up a clean 2002 Saturn SL1 that I have been using for errands and such to try and keep mileage down on my Tahoe. The Saturn now has 155k miles on it and had a noticeable rough idle. I never really take it for lengthy trips but last weekend I decided to take it to Philly and back (about a 200 mile round trip) seeing as how I have only been using it for short trips, before I went I figured I would check the oil and found it low about a quart. I just changed the oil about 2 months ago and only put about 1000 miles on it in that time. I also noticed that one of the plug wires looked a little burnt. So I went to the local parts store to pick up a quart of oil, spark plugs and a set of wires. Ive always seen those silver "RESTORE" cans but never bought one. I am pretty skeptical of all those snake oil products. But I remember once reading an article on how that stuff really works by increasing piston ring seal thus restoring lost compression and reducing oil consumption. So I threw a can of restore in the oil and changed the plugs. Since the plugs were out anyway my curiosity got the best of me and I did a quick compression test on the cylinders and all (4) were around 150psi dry. The can says to drive for 500 miles to see results. I drove to Philly and back (200 miles) I dont know if it was psychological but on the way home it seemed to have a touch more pep. So Monday morning I checked the compression to find that all (4) cylinders were at about 170psi dry. Needless to say, i was pretty surprised to see it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compression1.jpg (92.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg compression2.jpg (94.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg compression4.jpg (86.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by alamantia; 01-03-2012 at 10:39 AM.
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
maroman88
12 Second Club

i love that stuff, i use it in all my cars when i do their oil changes
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Mark B

I agree. I feel a bit like an idiot at checkout when I buy it, but the stuff works.

01 GMC Sierra C3 6.0L, AWD, Westers Tune, K&N, Hella LED Tails
03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, GMPP Handling Kit, LS1 F-Body Brakes
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

That is pretty cool to see how much compression you picked up.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
alamantia

I wonder if that seafoam stuff does anything becides make smoke and youtube videos
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamantia View Post
I wonder if that seafoam stuff does anything becides make smoke and youtube videos
LOL

I use it too... on a clean engine it makes no smoke, I tried. On an older one it makes a TON, so one would assume something is being burnt off and deff makes for a smother idle
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
wretched73

I put that restore in my old s10, it sounded like a sewing machine before and after the restore but after it sounded CONSIDERABLY better. And i also felt like it picked up a little bit of pep
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Slow Z
11 Second Club

My question is what does that stuff really do to give the results you guys are saying? I would assume for every positive it also produces a negative effect some where.

On a somewhat related note, my dad swears by Trans-X. He had a 93 dodge shadow thats transmission slipped so badly it was undriveable. He put a bottle of Trans-X in there and it'd work flawlessly for about 3,000 miles. He would siphon fluid out the dipstick tube, add new fluid, and a bottle of transx at every oil change and it's been working for over a decade.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Z View Post
My question is what does that stuff really do to give the results you guys are saying? I would assume for every positive it also produces a negative effect some where.

On a somewhat related note, my dad swears by Trans-X. He had a 93 dodge shadow thats transmission slipped so badly it was undriveable. He put a bottle of Trans-X in there and it'd work flawlessly for about 3,000 miles. He would siphon fluid out the dipstick tube, add new fluid, and a bottle of transx at every oil change and it's been working for over a decade.
I am sure it's not permanent. Maybe something that can stand combustion and gets on the cyl walls?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Z View Post
that's awesome!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
jam01

it made my car faster.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Featherburner

It make old cars run like new. New cars run like a NASCAR and NASCARs run like Indy cars!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
z28camaro94
13 sec club

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
LOL

I use it too... on a clean engine it makes no smoke, I tried. On an older one it makes a TON, so one would assume something is being burnt off and deff makes for a smother idle
when sucked in through a vacuum line on the intake, the seafoam seeps down into the carbon built up on the valves, after letting sit for a couple mins and fire back up the smoke u see is the carbon from the valves being burt off in the combustion chamber
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Mark B

I wonder if anyone has looked into the effect of that carbon smoke on the catalytic converters?

01 GMC Sierra C3 6.0L, AWD, Westers Tune, K&N, Hella LED Tails
03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, GMPP Handling Kit, LS1 F-Body Brakes
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
z28camaro94
13 sec club

it says on the can that it is catalytic converter safe...but thats prob the chemical not the chunks of carbon trying to go through
Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
91chevywt

I used a can of this stuff also in my old truck and it definitely made a difference, it was noticeable. Then I started wondering what it may do to gaskets and such so I stopped using it. Wouldn't want it building up in oil passageways. The engine ran fine before, during, and after so it didn't really need the stuff. On an old engine that is worn out and burning oil? Sure, I'd use Restore, probably right after running seafoam through the vacuum line as well.

On a side note. My '94 GMC Jimmy, I ran Seafoam through the vacuum line, oil, and fuel tank, and it put on a big smoke show. Shortly after, I pulled the top end apart. Partly because I was bored and partly because I wanted to hop up the 4.3 a bit and clean it up. I'm not sure if it was the seafoam doing it's job, but the top end was CLEAN and required almost no cleaning inside. Zero sludge, and the ports/intake valves had almost NO buildup.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
1320B4U

I used to run that stuff in my cherokee religiously...now, most of my cars are under 100k so i do w/out...just mobil 1 in everything. Always used it for piece of mind..that and 3-4k oil changes and your golden.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech