Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 03-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

motor is out....

and I'd like to say thanks to the list for the advice I got on various threads (old and new) for the best way to get the motor out. I chose to take everything out the bottom as one unit and generally speaking it wasn't too bad. I tried to take lots of pics in case someone else has questions or concerns. The only carnage I can see it the driver side wheel sensor got snagged on the A-arm and pulled the wired out the backside of the connector. That seems like a pretty easy fix, so I'll take my lumps for that one.

Biggest piece of advise I have to offer is to go slow, be safe, and make sure your picker can lift the car high enough, watch out for hood clearance with the roof of your garage, and have a good dolly (I built one out of 0.120 wall 2x3 with 4 heavy duty casters, with the help of a friend, thanks Kev).

I'll try and take more pics and keep everyone posted as I pull the pan and hunt down my 4 missing needle bearings from a wayward rocker arm.

Anyother things to consider changing, upgrading while the motor and tranny are out?? I am already doing a blowproof bell, clutch/pressure plate/flywheeel. Water pump?? Oil pump?? T-stat?? none of these has shown any signs of problems, but while its out it's gotta be easier. The car has 59K on it.

A few pics are attached....

Thanks
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP00862.JPG (37.7 KB, 31 views)

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
chrisfrom nj

thats the same way i pulled the motor and trans out of my firends 98 mustang gt we stripped a flood car used the body we had a 98 mustang that was in an accident with a good motor trans int and wireing harness we started from scrach it was quick and simple
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
V
Stalker

looks good so far, when i pull my motor ill be using my two post lift ill be installing this spring.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Nice thats the way I pulled the motor out of the 96 Z/28 Parts car I have. Only problem I had was I forgot to disconnect the brake lines and continued to jack the car up and never noticed the drivers side was going up with the car. I was too tired and too aggrevated so I walked over to it and just cut it with some snips. Good luck with it!

Jon

EDIT: If you ever need any help let me know I live right in bordentown and can help if you need some.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
Mike
BadMod

i live in hamilton and am also available to help when needed (if not working that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning