Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
1337jeeper

exhaust woes...OBDI-style cat on OBDII vehicle? (Non-Fbody)

OK, so i bought a magnaflow muffler and carsound/magnaflow cat sight unseen off of a jeepin buddy of mine back in FL (which has no emissions testing of any kind)...he put maybe 800-1000 miles on the stuff before he blew his jeep up, rebuilt it into a 5.0 V8 with a kenne bell supercharger, and ditched his old exhaust because 2.5" piping was too small for a motor that modified...

Anyhow so when i bought the stuff, i was kinda wondering what was up with this tube sticking out of the cat, but it was capped off so i didn't think anything of it...

anyways, about a month ago i went up and down to 3 or 4 different exhaust shops, none of them wouldn't even touch it, partially because the cat is used (i guess i can understand that), but supposedly it is an "OBDI" style cat because of this air tube sticking out? i fail to see how thats going to make a difference, it's capped off... Another thing is that it only has 70k on it, and the 80k emissions warranty is still there...all the shops made a big deal about that as well.

i can get a friend of mine to weld it up for me, that's not a big deal. but i dont wanna put it on if i'm gonna fail inspection, etc.

so here is my question. would i pass inspection with this "OBDI" style cat?

\'02 Honda 250ex- Maxxis Razrs on Douglass .190 rims, custom velocity stack intake w/ UNI air filter, Pro Circuit Header, Pro Circuit T-4, 2 inch endcap, No spark arrestor, no quiet core, rejetted carb.....Turbo in the works
\'84 Honda Z50R- lots of new parts, new QA50 engine....sold 8/15/04
1337jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

As long as the cat is funtioning properly, you shouldn't have any problems passing. That AIR tube is common on aftermarket universal fit cats, since some cars come with an AIR system, and others don't. Just get your buddy to weld it up, an leave that tube capped off.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

The real problem is that most exhaust shops won't touch replacing a cat if there isn't a legit reason to replace it(ie the cat has high mileage or it's clogged or it melted). If you cut out the old cat and clamp it in and go to an exhaust shop, they will gladly weld it up for you since you were the one that replaced it and they won't be liable. That extra air tube is there for some vehicles that pump fresh air directly into the cat to help it heat up and function faster. It has nothing to do with OBDI vs OBDII.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning