Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
1972LT1
The Plague

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake

Just Dad and I just replaced the original dual plane intake with one of these and a new Edelbrock water pump,Fel-pro gaskets and ARP bolts. A WARNING to anyone doing this.......
1. The coolant crossover on the front of the manifold is @3/8" higher than the old one so the alt bracket dosen't fit right and needs to be cut.
2. If you're running a Holley carb you'll need a 1" spacer under the carb, because of the fitting tapped into the #8 intake for the power brake booster and the vac. line to the trans.
3. On the water pump, the attachment point for the power steering bracket needed to be drilled out slightly.
4.The manifold only came with 2 screw in plugs, but there are 4 ports where you can put in the line to the heater core.
5.Neither the carb or manifold came with the fittings for the heater core hoses.
6.Because of the manifold and spacer I now need a cowl induction hood.
Of course they tell you none of this when we bought the manifold from JEG's.
1972LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I have one of those:
1. I have no idea if the old one was cut. But the 3rd gen serp setup fits ok.
2. I got mine to fit - barely. Rt > adapter. But I have a simple ole 4160
3. See #1
4. I never counted. LOL
5. No. I got a pretty stainless one.
6. Flat hood FTW, but drop base is required.

Cars are a PITA.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 06-10-2007 at 07:59 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

welcome to the world of aftermarket parts!
Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Jared1970Chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
welcome to the world of aftermarket parts!
you said it best for this thread.....

ps... jegs dont know all that to tell you... that manifold they sell could be going on 1 of 1500 different types of motors in different applications....the best was when i ordered my multilayer race jacket... i had the guy get two sizes and try them on cause he seemed to be my height and weight... lol...
Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
SpeedMetalT/A

My performer rpm intake went in fine except I couldnt use the bracket that goes from the a/c compressor to the intake because of the difference in height.But I had planned on taking my a/c out anyway so it wasnt a problem.
SpeedMetalT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
1972LT1
The Plague

Found out from Edelbrock that I need to use a '76 or later alt bracket. Ordered it and should have it Friday.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972LT1 View Post
Just Dad and I just replaced the original dual plane intake with one of these and a new Edelbrock water pump,Fel-pro gaskets and ARP bolts. A WARNING to anyone doing this.......
1. The coolant crossover on the front of the manifold is @3/8" higher than the old one so the alt bracket dosen't fit right and needs to be cut.
2. If you're running a Holley carb you'll need a 1" spacer under the carb, because of the fitting tapped into the #8 intake for the power brake booster and the vac. line to the trans.
3. On the water pump, the attachment point for the power steering bracket needed to be drilled out slightly.
4.The manifold only came with 2 screw in plugs, but there are 4 ports where you can put in the line to the heater core.
5.Neither the carb or manifold came with the fittings for the heater core hoses.
6.Because of the manifold and spacer I now need a cowl induction hood.
Of course they tell you none of this when we bought the manifold from JEG's.
edelblows has also changed their alloy contant in all of the manifolds it now has scrap steel or cast iron power as a filler so they make more on each part what happenes is the alloy starts to turn brown ( its rusting ) and edelblows will tell you you spilled cemicals on it and its not their fault but some people use an acid to clean it with and that might help ( what we were told ) been their done this -- have too high end cars we finished last fall it is happeninmg to both manifolds --SOOOO we now have to take them off glass bead them super clean and power coat them alloy color so the alloy manifold does not start to rust again -- just a pass along for those buying a new manifold in a natural color -- they figured this out with their new perma star chrome finish puting iron in the alloy got a better hold in the piece -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
1972LT1
The Plague

Put the bracket on saturday night and it fits perfectly and needed no spacers or shims. Had to drill a hole in the bracket for the clip that holds the lines to the heater core,and moved the battery wire to the bottom bolt.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning