Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

Question/ comment on exhaust

A little background:
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28960

So, fast forward to today:
SLP Loudmouth cat back
Rear O2 sims
Everything else is stock with 108,000 miles.

The T/A is on a budget so no big $$$$ mods.

I am pretty sure Pacesetter long tubes are the way to go.

Question 1 is..... get them with EGR and AIR.... or w/o and remove the EGR and AIR and have tuning done for no check engine light.

Question 2 is.... I want to have cat's on it so visual inspection is legit. I will stick with Catco because they are cheapest. Is it cheaper to buy an off road y pipe and get cats and have them welded on it or have the shop make a y pipe and I supply the cats

Question 3 is.... size of cat's.... 2.5 or 3 inch? My v6 has 3 inch.... but is extremely modified... the T/A will NOT see extensive mods.... just basic intake/ exhaust

Question 4.... cheapest cat back out there? Loudmouth with cats and long tube headers would be too frigin loud so I gotta go with something different. Flowmaster is cheap but I heard it's flow capabilities are weak at best and rob some potential hp and tq. I've seen good stuff on magnaflow.

When all this exhaust work gets done I will get new plugs and O2 sensors - I don't want to run O2 sims anymore.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

1. youll have a hard time finding someone to tune your car, i think. or maybe thats just the 93-95 LT1s. do you have any reason for removing the EGR/AIR? neither really provide THAT much benefit to warrant going through the work to remove them + cost of tuning, in my opinion anyway.

2. Can you just buy a catted Y-pipe? thats probably the easiest and cheapest way to go.

3. Go with whatever size the collector is on the header, then step down at the catback if need be...but i believe full 3" would be best if you get a 3" catback too, since fbodies arent true duals.

4. Magnaflow is one of the best, but is kinda pricey in comparison....flowmasters are cheap, but IMO they sound like crap on a SBC, and yes they offer slightly less flow. if you can swing the extra cash, get the magnaflow, looks great, sounds great, flows great...and its not TOO expensive.

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

1) I would get them with the EGR fittings and just plug them. May not be as pretty, but if you ever get into an issue ( inspection, reselling, whatever ), you can always throw the emmision stuff back on.

2) Might be easier to have the Y-pipe make, but won't be cheaper. I think Muffles changed me around $300 to make mine and I supplied the cats. Allot of the premade Y-pipe a) don't fit well, B) have slip fit joins so you can adjust them, and the always have leaks.

3) If you go they premade, then cat. diam. would be decided by the Y-pipe size. If not go 3" so the cats aren't any restriction and you will have 3" from the collectors back.

3A) I've had bad lick with catco, I'm now running 4" cats from Magnaflow in my Y-pipe. Under $100 each from jegs. They are small and fit nightly upder the car.

4) Jegs sells their own cat back, 3" pipe with a turbo muffler for around $250 ( I never heard one?) or Hooker has a nice cat back for around $325, which does have a nice mellow sound in the lower RPMs. Use to be fairly popular before the loudmouth took over.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning