Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > The Early Years 67-92

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #126
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkmaster 98 View Post
when are we cruising?!!
I am usually around!
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #127
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
My buddy wants it on his second gen. To clarify, the window drops about an inch when you open the door and raises back up an inch when you close it. You know how these things suck between the top of the glass and the weatherstripping, his is ttop as well, so we were trying to find a solution that also modernizes the car. I think 90s thunderbirds have it and its probably not that complicated to retrofit into his car. Let me know if you come across anything on a forum etc. Thanks.
C6 Corvettes have this feature.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #128
PolarBear

Well, just a small update. I have been driving the car as much as I can and I am having a lot of fun. I have already put over a thousand miles on it since the beginning of June and did my "break in"fluid changes. The trans was rebuilt, so I had to change the fluid, as per the builder, oil in the engine was in there for a while, but almost no miles before this, and I did the gear oil as a precautionary.

The 6 speed is great with the 3.45 gears, the AC blows cold, the XM antenna is a huge improvement over the antenna in the dash. I replaced the reverse lockout solenoid and it is so nice to not have to fight against it trying to go in reverse.
I had a few small problems with my wiring. My AC wouldn't come on initially, I thought my wire from the ECM for the AC command was something else and I hooked it up to the parking brake switch. Got that connected to the HVAC wire for AC and now the AC comes on as intended. I also had the wires "backward" for the RLO solenoid at the solenoid and reversed them on the connector and it would blow the fuse. So the solenoid must have been bad and the internal diode was too low resistance, so it would blow the fuse. With the wires reversed it would reverse voltage the diode, so it didn't matter the coil for the solenoid was open. Got a new solenoid installed on Sunday and all that is working as it should. I do have one more issue with the clutch anticipate, it isn't bringing the pin low as it is supposed to, so I think I forgot to ground the other wire from the switch so I have to take part of the dash apart to look at that.
I also have to change the door open trigger wire for the alarm system. I put in a module for the interior light so it will stay on for the timed amount and it will also shut off immediately when you put the key in ignition. Well this keeps the wire for the lights low during the time the light is on, so the alarm thinks the door is still open and honks the horn as a reminder that the alarm doesn't have the remote in range and the door is open. So I forget EVERY time and walk away from the car and the horn honks. I already have the delay set to about 8 seconds and I don't want to go lower. There are two pins on the door switches, so I will have to move the alarm wire to the other pin and then run another wire to the passenger door so it functions with both doors, I may also run a wire to the hatch so I can have the hatch also trigger the alarm.
I can also use the unused C.A.G.S. wire to function as a shift light in the car, so while I am running another wire for the alarm, I am going to run one more wire to make the shift light in the dash work too.
This past weekend I also started working on fixing the fiber board for the headliner. My friend that works in composites suggested I use white glue to put into the fiber to act like epoxy would in a fiberglass application to strengthen the board. When I took it down it folded in a few places and it was separating in others, plus it was cracked in the middle. I also bought some fiberglass screen material to use over the whole board to cover some of the defects. So far I have saturated the board and got the screen stuck to the board. Initially the board was HEAVY from the glue, I used around 3/4 of a gallon to cover and get the screen down. It has been drying for a few days now and since a lot of the water has come out it is much lighter. I had to flip the headliner over as I noticed that the bottom side of the board felt wet but the top was stiff and dry, so the moisture was not able to escape sitting on the table. I will leave it a few more days and maybe have a fan blow across it, or put it out in the sun. Then I can glue some new liner material on it. I am ready to get the headliner installed since I keep snagging the wires for the alarm and the XM antenna wire since they both go to the back.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #129
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

LOVE this Bird!

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #130
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
LOVE this Bird!
You too Bob, you too just keep it in North Jersey, where you live
Old 10-31-2017, 02:12 PM   #131
PolarBear

It's been a while since I updated. I put the car completely back together and have been driving it a lot. Did the Ultimate street car race and drove it home.

I still have a few more things I want to finish, but I like having a car I don't have to do anything on. But I had a small problem a few weeks ago with the slave cylinder, I believe I over traveled it for too long and it started to fail the seal slowly. I was on the way home from somewhere and I was losing the ability to get it into gear when stopped, I would have to pump it up to be able. I had bought 2 T56s years ago, and for some reason I took the slaves off of both. One of them had a slave spacer and the other didn't and this must have been the one that did. I ordered a new slave and got it in last weekend, also installing the spacer. Now that it is in, the transmission shifts much easier, whereas before I had to put the pedal ALL the way down, and it would still feel like it wasn't completely disengaging, when everything was hot it was still a little difficult to get into first and the second shift was usually hard too. That is all gone now.
Now I have another problem, ugh. The screw hole for the torque arm mount at the top is stripped and the torque arm is loose, so eventually I have to pull the trans AGAIN and put in a thread repair, but that should fix it and be the last of the things that could really go wrong.

Before I put the carpet in I put down some FatMat, and then a layer of mass loaded vinyl, but I only got the firewall, under the seats and up and over the hump. I still need to get behind all the rear interior panels, the back wall behind the tail lights, the doors and in the rear wheel well area. The car is much quieter than it used to, but I still hear the road noise on the highway. I think a lot of it is the doors not been treated yet though. I also need to hook up the heated Corvette mirrors (that would have been useful this morning) do my door lighting, under the handle and the road lighting to shine on the ground when the door is open.

Last edited by PolarBear; 10-31-2017 at 02:15 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > The Early Years 67-92