Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
198esp1

scca auto x Englishtown road course

going to go to nnjr sat there running on the road course. I know 1qwickbird is in anybody else. Should be fun with the new engine and 50lbs less. So far 103 are pre registered.
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
creeper

I have work unfortunately

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Perfect weather at E-town.....

The weather Saturday was perfect for autox at E-town. Temps in the mid to upper 80's so tires got to temp quickly. My first time doing an autox on the "road course" there, so that was cool. I had walked the course when it was first built many years ago, but haven't been on it since. It strikes me as an oversized go-cart track more than a real road course, but worked very well for autox. CP (C-Prepared) had 5 cars in class, so that should make for some nice competition.

The day started off promising as I worked first heat and ran last heat. I like working before running because I get to see how other drivers are handling different areas of the course, but on this day that would not prove to be all that valuable.

My first run was a somewhat conservative run trying to remember the couple tricky areas and ended up not handling one area near the finish correctly so was off course. The car felt good, tires felt good, just screwed up the finish and ran an 80.xxxx

Second run, feeling confident I decided to push harder, but not go off course at the end. And generally I succeeded in doing that posting a 77.375 clean (at the time I thought I had 1 cone, but I guess not). A couple areas on this run I found myself over driving the course, so I thought for sure there was more out there, if I could apply what I already knew and make corrections.

Third run, pushing harder looking for more time I over drove the car and was doing dumb stuff. Trying to go fast where I should have been slow, which made me slow where I should have been fast etc. etc. and it manifested itself in with a 76.xxxx but with 2 cones and looking back I was out of shape in lots of sections on course, so the time doesn't tell the story.

Fourth run and I haven't made significant improvements to my time yet and have only one clean run, not good. Other cars in class, like 198esp1 are out in front by a full 2 seconds or nipping at my heels, so I need to make a move. Well, I scored my best clean run of the day with a 77.263, but that's still pretty far off the pace being set by 198esp1 (at the time was standing on a 75.111).

Final run and I need to get down into the mid 76 range at least. Well, the pressure got the best of me and I totally blew it. I slowed down to a 78.1xx and picked up cones along the way. And to really finish it off 198esp1 put up a 74.162 so finished a full 3 seconds off the pace and the other guy in class put together a nice final run, dropped a full second from his previous best and got me by 0.078.

So what does all this mean? I finished DFL (dead F%^$ing last in class). Not good at all. I think my problem is I don't learn or adjust from run to run. I don't connect the runs and apply the good and fix the bad. I wasn't looking ahead very well. So seat time is more important than ever now (not that it wasn't before) .

The class is well represented with 3 or 4 very good drivers in good cars at the top, which give me something to chase. Then there are me and 1 or 2 others that battle at the back, but there should not be a full 3+ seconds between us, at least I hope not.

Congrats 198esp1 on the win, it looks like the car and driver performed very well and the work was all worth it. I'm scared to see what a fresh set of A6's will do for you?

Links to results:

Final Results
http://www.autox4u.com/2010results/512010_fin.htm

PAX
http://www.autox4u.com/2010results/512010_pax.htm

Raw
http://www.autox4u.com/2010results/512010_raw.htm

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
198esp1

Saturday was a good day,the new motor, clutch and more weight loss seemed to pay off, last fall on a very similar course the second place mustang had me beat by about 2 sec. This time around I got him by 1.5 sec. So the car is getting better little by little. Out of 129 cars i finished with the 18 quickest run and paxed 25th. The new A6's will be awesome hopefully in a week or so. Cp was a very strong class this week with Steve, Rob and Ed all very strong drivers. Ed was driver of the year last season. So 1qwickbird dont beat yourself up

1qwickbird you have parts to put on the hot rod get cracking,

Last edited by 198esp1; 05-02-2010 at 10:07 PM.
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

I decided that I'm not installing any parts until the driver gets his act together. The parts will remain on the shelf until that happens on a consistent basis. When are we painting that hood?

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X