Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 10-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Catalytic converter cleaning

Has anyone tried to clean a catalytic converter and had success? I took my 2010 Silverado for a long drive last week and I noticed the rotten egg smell for the first time. I never noticed it on any of the shorter drives (less than 40 minutes) I've done since I got the truck in April. I did have 1 rear O2 sensor code pop up one day and cleared it and it hasn't come back. So I'm not sure if there is a real issue since the truck runs good but you could smell it. The stocky y-pipe for the 5.3 has 3 converters in it and looks like it would be a lot of fun to swap out with the crossmember and transfer case in the way. Anyway, I find it hard to believe the cleaners you put in your gas tank would help to clean the cats, I'm skeptical.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
maroman88
12 Second Club

you smell em and had a code, ones probably done. had one completely collapse on my 5.3 tahoe and i was chasing a misfire forever and the bad cat was my issue. i removed the y pipe and gutted all 3 and reinstalled. my giant main muffler and the little one in the rear are still intact and no adverse odors or issues.
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech