Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
ted gerlach

new old junk box to get to work in, anyone else done the same thing

new to me old to everyone else, i bought a 97 nissan 200sx 2 door 4 cyclinder 5-speed car to go to work in, so in the last month i spent $90 in fuel, have not driven my truck or any third gen that i have, and the nissan has been getting between 32 and 34 mpg, last time i drove my truck to work for 1 week it cost me arround $210 for the 2 fill ups and thats one week, and the formula is arround $110 a week in fuel, i will strat to take it to work one day when its nice and the t-tops can come off, as far as the truck is concerned its parked, only when i really need to do something with it,
anybody else doing the samething with the crazy gas prices
ted gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
TAdan

Good call.

I've been looking for something with fewer cylinders to DD also.

The 1982-1984 Firebird Zone:
www.early3rdgen.com/forums
TAdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
mudjnky

I'm looking for something, I'm up to about $550 a month in fuel, and that is just to get to work.
mudjnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
88Z-Man

If people haven't they are probably going to soon. I got rid of my Avalanche 2 years ago because I did not like where fuel was then. Good calll in hind sight, but miss the truck. Now I just need to sell the XB so I can think about getting either a 80's camaro or monte to work on.
88Z-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
trashman01
15 Second Club

eh, my buddy just filled up his 01 powerjoke, 200$ to fill his tank and that will only last 5 days

next up - 3" lift, Gutted cat/retune/muffler

Past Toys:
1983 Trans AM, 1988 Trans AM, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Off-Road, 1986 Camaro IROC, 1984 Chevy K10 lifted, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD
trashman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

$45 to fill up the 2000 SS and that usually gets me 2 weeks. How far do you guys drive? And do you go out for lunch every day or take lunch into work? I bought my house knowing I would be 10 minutes away from work. I don't understand how people can do a 45+ minute commute regardless of gas prices.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
enRo
13 Second Club

I could care less about gas prices. Yes its a bit high, but its the price you pay for driving a V8. Suckin' Gas, Haulin Ass, thats my motto.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
$45 to fill up the 2000 SS and that usually gets me 2 weeks. How far do you guys drive? And do you go out for lunch every day or take lunch into work? I bought my house knowing I would be 10 minutes away from work. I don't understand how people can do a 45+ minute commute regardless of gas prices.
school (seasonal), church, library, errands, hanging out with friends... it adds up to about 2 or 3 fillups a week for me. partly because i have trouble keeping off the LOL pedal on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane View Post
I could care less about gas prices. Yes its a bit high, but its the price you pay for driving a V8. Suckin' Gas, Haulin Ass, thats my motto.
i don't mind the immediate effect, but it also affects other industries which is causing other commodity prices to increase and our economy to go down. since my father and i invest in the stock market, a decreased economy also equals a sad jake. the ripple effect is tremendous.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
a decreased economy also equals a sad jake. the ripple effect is tremendous.
but buying while the buying's cheap equals a happy kasey

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
79T/A

Quote:
I don't understand how people can do a 45+ minute commute regardless of gas prices.
I consider it the price I pay to live where I want to. I don't feel that I can find another job in my line of work local to my area that will pay as well as where I'm at now. Plus, I couldn't afford to live where I work; the taxes alone would kill me. The commute is worthwhile when I'm sitting on my deck on two acres of woods and mountain under a clear blue sky with a Jack and Coke in one hand and my guitar in the other. Not to mention how happy my boys and my Native American friend Wife (Pronounced Wee-fay) are living out in the country. Can't put a price on that as far as I'm concerned.

Sure, I guess I could get a job near home, but the idea of starting over somewhere new when I love the people I work with and what I'm doing now doesn't appeal to me at all. I want my cake and I wanna eat it too. If that means I have to spend more at the pumps, I'll just have to sit back and take it until things get better.

As for the MPG, well, I take the family car (VW Jetta Wagon, 30-32 MPG) most of the week and take the Jeep the one day Wife needs to get provisions for the papooses. The actual commute itself isn't so bad as long as the CD player works!
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge