Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

Thumbs down inspections

Hey guys..Does anyone know what a 1987 iroc camaro needs on it to pass inspections...The car does not have a cat. on it, it does'nt have a smog pump on it or a/c..As far as I know that is it....
Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

My 87 SS, Carb passes emission with tuning and cleaning out the EGR. And It has a gutted cat that I didnt know about until after.

If its TPI, get an emissions chip...

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

What is an emissions chip..Cause I know that they look under your car to see if the cat is there and I don't have one....
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Slow 88
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Racer View Post
What is an emissions chip..Cause I know that they look under your car to see if the cat is there and I don't have one....

You will definitely need a cat to get by even at the little shops unless you know someone pretty well!!! Because, the shop owner could get a hefty fine if they trace anything back to them I.E. missing cat obviuosly...
Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow 88 View Post
You will definitely need a cat to get by even at the little shops unless you know someone pretty well!!! Because, the shop owner could get a hefty fine if they trace anything back to them I.E. missing cat obviuosly...
Yep. Tampering with a catalytic converter is breaking federal law...
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
bcgetfresh

get a guy to slap a sticker on for a few bucks
bcgetfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

You need a cat. You won't miss the 1.5 hp you'll lose from it. For the price you'd 'pay for a sticker', you would just about pay for it, then you can go to the state for free. But then again we told you this weeks ago, didn't we? Plus no private shop inspector with 1/2 a brain would slap a sticker on a car for someone he does not know reasonably well. The risks to his business are too high.

AC is never needed. I've never known anyone fail from no AIR pump. An 'emissions chip' (never heard that term before) woud probably be the stock chip or one designed to pass sniffer test (mile hypertechs, etc.).

Plus the usual brakes, lights, suspension check, etc.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

An emissions chip, from the old "prom" days, cuts fuel like crazy, gets rid of any dtcs, stock or you could have one burned for you.

Also, you MAY need an air pump, depending how anal they are with the visual.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
IROCdan330
12 Second Club

an emissions chip doesn't exist. the computer compensates more than enough to pass NJ sniffer (unless the car has been tampered with by someone who doesn't know what theyre doing, or is heavily modified)...leaning out the mixture through the computer will only cause the combustion chamber temps to go up and NOx gasses to rise, which may cause it to fail. There is a balance there with fan temps however, a slightly hotter engine will generally be more emissions friendly, so fans coming on later would help.

a tune on a modified car is helpful, but the tune for max performance would be the same tune to use to pass emissions, as the idea is to tune for stoich for driveability/emissions, then use the power enrichment for the WOT stuff, 12.6-13.1 AFR.

Like mentioned above, you need a cat to pass (summit has direct bolt in 3 inch high flows for cheap, and they work)...you don't need an EGR, but you can't have a SES light either. So if you dont have it or its messed up, you have 2 options, 1: tune it out, or 2: disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and drive straight to the inspection station. The 2nd option may cause you to fail for HCs though, as the computer may not have had enough time to learn in the BLMs, based on modifications of course. Air pump is negligible, as it doesn't do anything but help to heat up the cat and oxygen sensor...long enough run time will generally get that done anyways...so if they pop the hood and dont know what theyre looking at, you should be ok.

Kid Racer: I told you once, and I will tell you again...get a basic tune-up, change out all the basic crap, and see where that gets you...with a better running car you are more likely to pass.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey