Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
91black5spd

Replacement Tires

I am looking for replacement tires for my 02 SS. The original goodyears still have decent tread but are dry rotted badly. I was looking on tirerack at different tires and I wanted to get opinions on what is a good replacement tire.
I will not be driving the car in rain or snow but I will drive it sometimes in the winter months so I dont want a tire that wont work well in cold temperature. I want something with a decent ride and although I want good grip I dont want to sacrifice ride quality much. I have had good experience with michelin and continental tires in the past. I'm not sure whether to go all-season or summer. These are the ones I am considering:

All-Seasons:
1. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus - $207
2. Continental ExtremeContact DWS - $164
3. BFG g-Force SS A/S - $159

Summer:
1. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - $321
2. Continental ExtremeContact DW - $157
3. BFG g-Force Sport - $145
3. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS - $324

Has anyone had any of these tires? Any thoughts on A/S vs summer for cold weather?
Factory SLP Options of 1LE, 345hp lid/dual dual exhaust, Auburn Diff

1991 Pontiac Firebird SOLD
Black w/ grey cloth, T-Tops
5.0L L03 engine w/ T-5 manual Tranny
91black5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
S.J.SLEEPER

Nitto NT555...... I wouldnt use anything else. I had these on all 4 corners of my SS and they handled and hooked up great all year long. I was very suprised how well the worked in the rain..
No B.S., I've used bfgoods,kumhos,michelins, and these NT555 's were amazing.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
S.J.SLEEPER

Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance

P285/40ZR-17 95W(Reading the Tire Size)

Make no mistake, this tire is built for performance.
$171.00each

Treadwear300

TractionA

Temperature A

Make no mistake, Nitto's new NT-555 is for the performance-driven individual. When this new tire went on the drawing board, Nitto's engineers utilized racing concepts like the biggest achievable tread contact patch and specially formulated tread compounding to put incredible traction and handling at the very center of the NT 555's character.

•Tread pattern maximizes block size for high speed stability and superb cornering performance.

•High-density bead filler stiffens the sidewall to provide excellent steering response.

•Full-width steel belts and jointless edge and ply caps stabilize tread and resist deformation at high speeds for incredible stability and control.

•Advanced, high-grip compound delivers superior mobility on both wet and dry surfaces and enhances tread wear.

•Tread block diversity disperses pitch variations to reduce noise for a quiet ride.

•Z-speed rated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nitto.jpg (22.1 KB, 2 views)
South Jersey Racecraft

Last edited by S.J.SLEEPER; 02-04-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

My cousin got a set of General G-Max AS-03s on his 5th gen and he loves them. They are all-seasons and a great price. He swears they are grippier than his OEM pirelli summers. I would look into them.

Never ran on Nitto 555s so I can't compare them though, but I imagine the 555s may be better for you since they are summers and you don't seem to drive your car in bad weather.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
S.J.SLEEPER

The NT555 is also a great match for using on your fronts if you run a nt555r or nt05 drag radial on rear
South Jersey Racecraft
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
RiggsLW81

300 treadwear on the nittos? F that, i would never purchase a tire with that low a wear rating...certainly not at 171 a tire. unless u just like pissing $$ away.. dont buy summer tires if you plan on using during winter months.

i like the kumhos. good prices, good treadwear, and feel good all around in most weather conditions...have them on my car, gf's car, no compaints at all.

Another trip inside the acid bath..no salvation and the grave is coming fast..
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggsLW81 View Post
300 treadwear on the nittos? F that, i would never purchase a tire with that low a wear rating...certainly not at 171 a tire. unless u just like pissing $$ away.. dont buy summer tires if you plan on using during winter months.

i like the kumhos. good prices, good treadwear, and feel good all around in most weather conditions...have them on my car, gf's car, no compaints at all.
Treadwear has no universal standard among tire manufacturers and the reason they wear quick is because they have soft rubber which usually means more grip. Perhaps you have no grip, but some others would like more, or don't drive their car often enough to warrant a long lasting tire. I, for example, drive my car 3-5k miles a year so a long lasting tire is less preferred to a grippy tire.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Fast92RS
Power Member

I know its not on your list but did you look at hankook. I have them on my truck and on my Camaro. They are priced good and have good reviews and I have no complaints.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
BigAls87Z28

If you got the cash, go for the PS2s.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
Ls1dreamin02

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
Nitto NT555...... I wouldnt use anything else. I had these on all 4 corners of my SS and they handled and hooked up great all year long. I was very suprised how well the worked in the rain..
No B.S., I've used bfgoods,kumhos,michelins, and these NT555 's were amazing.
I second this. I love my NT555's they are an all around great tire. Just dont get stuck in the snow with them.
Ls1dreamin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
My cousin got a set of General G-Max AS-03s on his 5th gen and he loves them. They are all-seasons and a great price.
I just put a set of the G-Max's in 235/45 18 on my G35. I only have about 100 miles on them so far, but I like them a lot - they're great in the rain and handle well on the cold, dry pavement. They were also the lightest tire in that size, at 22lbs. - great for shedding some rotating mass! Unfortunately, General doesn't make a 275/40 17 or 285/40 17 - at least not yet.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
91black5spd

How do the Nittos do in dry but cold weather? Also, is the noise and ride quality really rough since they are performance oriented?
Factory SLP Options of 1LE, 345hp lid/dual dual exhaust, Auburn Diff

1991 Pontiac Firebird SOLD
Black w/ grey cloth, T-Tops
5.0L L03 engine w/ T-5 manual Tranny

Last edited by 91black5spd; 02-07-2012 at 06:08 AM.
91black5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
BigAls87Z28

300 treadwear for a performance tire is actually pretty damn good. It's the A traction that bothers me...
Then again, these numbers are one of the biggest piles of **** to use to compare one tire from one manufacture to another.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S2's...didn't see that there. Can't go wrong with that one.

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 02-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.
BigAls87Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Ls1dreamin02

The Nittos do great on the road. Highway driving is smooth and quiet (keep in mind I have a Loudmouth 1 so its loud anyway so if they are loud I cant hear it.)They soak up bumps nicely. Around town they are great and quiet as well. They are great in the cold. Havent had one problem with them yet. And with all tires on a performance car, it all depends on how you drive. They will spin in the rain if you have a heavy foot. They aren't made for snow. They hook well in dry conditions launching hard. They corner great. I daily drive my car all year long. The tires are summer, performance tires and have limitations like any tire. For the money I think they are very much worth it. I found mine for $140 a tire on ebay. Like SJSLEEPER I was very surprised with this tires performance in all conditions. Plus its made in the USA!
Ls1dreamin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
mikey mort

i have the nitto NT555 on my 02 SS and there awesome. do it up
mikey mort is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech