Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 04-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

Lowering Springs / Shocks/ PHB installed, question with TT2's

Just got my car back from the shop... had the BMR 1" Springs, Adj Panhard Bar, and KYB AGX shocks installed (along with replacement of both front shock mounts from excessive rot) ... now its time to have my TT2's mounted. 17x9.5's up front and 17x11's in back, plan on going with 315/35/17 in the back and 275/40/17 up front ... where should I get my tires (purchased + mounted to rim) and what brand would be the best bang for the buck? Anyplace local in North Jersey would be the best, but if there is no other alternative, I'll order the tires from some website. Also, what exactly to I have to mod to the rear area to get the 315's from rubbing? Thanks in advance

-Noah
Old 04-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Tsar
MIR

um..tirerack.com ?
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
enRo
13 Second Club

They dont have the size I checked earlier today
Old 04-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Tsar
MIR

check discounttire.com they might have it and if they dont, they can always order any tire you want.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
enRo
13 Second Club

Actually, I goofed up on the search. I see plenty. Now to choose the best tire. Any ideas anybody?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Tsar
MIR

Eagle F1's FTW
Old 04-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
camarokev

hey noah... I got my tires from a guy I've known for forever... it's called Discount tire and it's in Hackettstown, right across from the Quickcheck where the Quicklube place is ... anyway, when I got my 17" tires for my rims, he originally quoted me 140 per tire, but finally after talking with him the rock bottom price he gave me for them was 104 per tire (mounted, balanced) and I couldn't find anywhere near that cheap. Let me know if ur interested and I could let him know what sizes ur looking for and see if he could get you a good deal. I went with Sumittomo's... because they were the cheapest.

Last edited by camarokev; 04-07-2006 at 01:03 AM.
camarokev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #8
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

sumitomos are definately the best for the money from what i've read on ls1tech. alot of people are cutting 1.8 and 1.9 60's with those tires

rubbing: now heres the deal... once those tires are on you cant jack the car up from the jackpoints and you need to jack it from the pumpkin (even when mounting them on the car)... you should probably shave the bump stops on the rears... dont mod the rear fender wells until you notice rubbing, and at that point let me know and i'll give you the deal after that

Last edited by qwikz28; 04-07-2006 at 01:19 AM.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

The correct way to deal with the 17x11's in the rear is to trim the bumpstops and bumpstop mounts. Right now is the best time to get a look at how close the rims will be without the tires mounted. I jacked my car up and let it rest on the frame on jackstands and let the suspension drop back down. Then I bolted the 17x11 rims on the rear and they were just touching the bumpstops and mounts. So I took the rims back off, removed the bumpstops and grabbed the hacksaw and trimmed about 1/4-3/8" off the driver's side mount. Then I trimmed about 1/4" off the passenger side mount. Put the bumpstops back in place and mark how much to trim off them to keep it flush with the mount. Take them off and hacksaw off the portion you marked. Clean up the exposed metal, paint it so it won't rust and bolt them back up. My 315's fit with the exact same clearance on each side so I didn't need the adjustable PHB. From what I've read, the Summitomo 315's tend to run a little narrower than most of the other brands and seem to have a little more rounded off shoulder. This is actually a good thing and may prevent you from needing to dent in the inner wheelwell for clearance or rolling the fender lip. I got my Summitomo's off Ebay for $236 shipped. The treadwear rating on the Summitomo's isn't as good as most of the other brands, but they are less than half the cost. I got caught in the rain on the way home from the dyno day and my car never broke loose or hydroplaned at all so the tires seem to work fine.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #10
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
The correct way to deal with the 17x11's in the rear is to trim the bumpstops and bumpstop mounts. Right now is the best time to get a look at how close the rims will be without the tires mounted. I jacked my car up and let it rest on the frame on jackstands and let the suspension drop back down. Then I bolted the 17x11 rims on the rear and they were just touching the bumpstops and mounts. So I took the rims back off, removed the bumpstops and grabbed the hacksaw and trimmed about 1/4-3/8" off the driver's side mount. Then I trimmed about 1/4" off the passenger side mount. Put the bumpstops back in place and mark how much to trim off them to keep it flush with the mount. Take them off and hacksaw off the portion you marked. Clean up the exposed metal, paint it so it won't rust and bolt them back up. My 315's fit with the exact same clearance on each side so I didn't need the adjustable PHB. From what I've read, the Summitomo 315's tend to run a little narrower than most of the other brands and seem to have a little more rounded off shoulder. This is actually a good thing and may prevent you from needing to dent in the inner wheelwell for clearance or rolling the fender lip. I got my Summitomo's off Ebay for $236 shipped. The treadwear rating on the Summitomo's isn't as good as most of the other brands, but they are less than half the cost. I got caught in the rain on the way home from the dyno day and my car never broke loose or hydroplaned at all so the tires seem to work fine.
hows the dry traction with those tires?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
enRo
13 Second Club

Gonna go with Sumithomos (sp?)
Old 04-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I also have the sumo tumo HTR's in the rear 315/35/17. The biggest problem is the passenger side will bottom out and rub when I have passangers in the back seat. Thats about it, the tires are pretty decent for traction as well. Once in a while they will spin in the rain, and I have driven with them in a light slow and I was fine babying it.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
jaysz2893

I have to agree about the Sumitumos. I got htrzII - 255/40/17's on my new rims, and i gotta say i love the tires. On the street they damn near dead hook, which scared me sicne i am a lot lower in the rear now and dont have the reloacation brackets on. well worth the money, and i think the tread looks nice, plus the little lip around the rim edge is a nice touch too.
jaysz2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #14
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm4Life
I also have the sumo tumo HTR's in the rear 315/35/17. The biggest problem is the passenger side will bottom out and rub when I have passangers in the back seat. Thats about it, the tires are pretty decent for traction as well. Once in a while they will spin in the rain, and I have driven with them in a light slow and I was fine babying it.
Yea but there is never ever ever passengers in the back seat... only thing that would be in the back of the car is the T-Tops when they are off
Old 04-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
enRo
13 Second Club

Ok I test fitted the fronts rims which fit perfect. Now the rears on the other hand... since the car is lowered a little more than an inch, it seriously has about half a millimeter of clearance with the bumpstop/wheelwell. Even if i trimmed it/ removed it completely, Im still gonna have to do some wheelwell work, and hammering it in I dont think will be good enough. What if i got a small spacer, does anybody think that'll do the trick?? Thanks in advance

-Noah
Old 04-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #16
JL8Jeff

Did you check the clearance on both sides? If you have the adjustable PHB you should be able to move the rear left or right to center it better. My rims were just touching the bumpstops and I still have room between the tire and the inner wheelwell so I'm surprised your tires would be hitting it the wheel is just barely touching. Do you have the tires mounted already or are you just eyeballing it?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
Ok I test fitted the fronts rims which fit perfect. Now the rears on the other hand... since the car is lowered a little more than an inch, it seriously has about half a millimeter of clearance with the bumpstop/wheelwell. Even if i trimmed it/ removed it completely, Im still gonna have to do some wheelwell work, and hammering it in I dont think will be good enough. What if i got a small spacer, does anybody think that'll do the trick?? Thanks in advance

-Noah
there is a fellow on ls1tech that rents out a heat gun and fender roller for $40. i also believe a guy in bordentown does as well. i'd find someone else that wants to do it and split the cost
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #18
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Did you check the clearance on both sides? If you have the adjustable PHB you should be able to move the rear left or right to center it better. My rims were just touching the bumpstops and I still have room between the tire and the inner wheelwell so I'm surprised your tires would be hitting it the wheel is just barely touching. Do you have the tires mounted already or are you just eyeballing it?
Tires arent mounted. Im just making sure he didnt send me wrong sizes (if i mount the tires, the rims are mind reguardless if they dont fit) . Im just eyeballing it but the rims are barely touching the bumpstop / wheel well. That was only the driver side. Im gonna check the passenger side, and i will take some pics for informational purposes. Thanks for the help so far guys . But wouldnt a small spacer to the trick as well?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
Tires arent mounted. Im just making sure he didnt send me wrong sizes (if i mount the tires, the rims are mind reguardless if they dont fit) . Im just eyeballing it but the rims are barely touching the bumpstop / wheel well. That was only the driver side. Im gonna check the passenger side, and i will take some pics for informational purposes. Thanks for the help so far guys . But wouldnt a small spacer to the trick as well?
NO SPACERS! mad unsafe
Old 04-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #20
JL8Jeff

You could probably use a small spacer but would most likely need longer studs.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #21
jaysz2893

Quote:
You could probably use a small spacer but would most likely need longer studs.
Definatly need longer studs. I know a dude that lost his drivers rim on the road due to a 1/4 inch spacer and stock studs.
jaysz2893 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance