Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
coldkilla

need quick help!

my 1-2 shifts are quite firm and this morning when i was driving to work a heard a LOUD BOOM underneath the car! something is loose or broken and i believe whatever it is, is smacking the underside of the vehicle cuz it really doesnt sound like one part hitting another. every time i make a 1-2 shift there it is again and it did it when the tranny downshifted to 2nd when i floored it on the highway too. what the **** could this be? im 99 percent sure its coming from the p/s rear so i dont think its a tranny mount cuz that would come from right about next to my seat right? there are absolutely no drivability issues, the rear doesnt feel loose and i dont hear the tire rub the fender at all. i dont have time to jack it up today so im doing it tomorrow morning, i did take a quick look underneath and everything i could see, sway bar, shocks lca's lower phb mount, lower torque arm mount etc. all seem to be fine and i dont see any damage. what could be doing this that wouldnt cause any problems driving? maybe my upper torque arm mount snapped and its hitting the car when the rear end bucks under the hard shifts? my buttmeter feels like the p/s rear tire is running over something everytime the sound occurs also. anyways im gonna check tomorrow so ill post what i find but any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
ins0mnia24

Check your tranny mounts also
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
V
Stalker

yeah, sounds like a torque arm mount or tranny mount issue. Make sure the bolt in the front TQ arm mount didnt come out, if it did, the arm will pivot up and hit the floor, but will also drop down and appear normal soemtime if you look, also if the trans mount tore apart, youll get the same symptoms you are having. try placing a juck under the trans(use a larger piece of wood or such so you dont damage the pan, and slowly jack up the trans, if its a bad mount you will be able to see it lift up easily.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Yup, sounds like a trans mount or a torque arm mount problem. Time to upgrade to poly mounts 8)
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

The only other thing that it might possibly be is a bad u-joint on the driveshaft, but that wouldn't cause anything to hit the floor of your car.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
coldkilla

yup, just a broken tranny mount. 10 bucks and 20 min later, crisis averted. resume your activities.

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
Ian

glad to hear it was simple.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:26 AM   #8
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Did you go poly?

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
coldkilla

no i just got a rubber replacement since i needed it fixed and didnt have time to wait. the replacement was better than the stock piece too. the stock mount rubber only connected with the metal on the edges while the new one is rubber to metal contact all the way, weird. anyways ill do poly engine and tranny mounts in the near future.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

If you have the stock torue arm get the poly bushing for that too

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah
If you have the stock torue arm get the poly bushing for that too
if you have the stock torque arm, get rid of it and get one that connects to a driveshaft loop 8)
Old 02-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
if you have the stock torque arm, get rid of it and get one that connects to a driveshaft loop 8)

What does a driveshaft loop have to do with what the torque connects to?
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:44 AM   #13
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
What does a driveshaft loop have to do with what the torque connects to?
I think Ian meant to say get an aftermarket torque arm that mounts to the tunnel, and incorporates a driveshaft loop.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #14
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
I think Ian meant to say get an aftermarket torque arm that mounts to the tunnel, and incorporates a driveshaft loop.

- Justin

I know, I was just busting balls.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy

- Justin

and tony, you're gonna have to do better than that to bust my balls.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #16
Batman
11 Second Club

Torque arm mount or tranny mount. Be careful with zipping around till you find out, if it is the torque arm you can push the driveshaft through the back of the transmission.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech