Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > East Central Jersey

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #26
BonzoHansen
Admin.

will $75 even pay for a regular private inspection anymore?

a high flow cat robs like 5hp in a street engine. but they are like AC. When $$ is tight they are not glamorous to spend $ on. lol

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #27
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98F-1camaro View Post
ok, where do I start (hypothetically of course lol)

-yes, $75 of monopoly money is available

-yes, it does have to pass the computer but thats being taken care of with the tune, so when they plug it in, everything "looks" good to the computer.

-If I had a "friend" with a "shop" this hypothetical exercise would never have been posted.

-I've never been a fan of cats and their uncanny ability to rob horsepower. When your on a tight budget, every pony counts.
Chances are you won't lose any horsepower with high flow cats.

The days of cats taking a lot were long ago, when pellet cats were in use.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #28
Featherburner

I see 2-4 mobile inspection units pull out of work every day. I'd be more concerned about having a cat for their inspection than for the regular inspection.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #29
shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
will $75 even pay for a regular private inspection anymore?

a high flow cat robs like 5hp in a street engine. but they are like AC. When $$ is tight they are not glamorous to spend $ on. lol
yes i got my car to pass for 75 and it hardly ran, died twice right in front of the guy, it might have helped that we do his tree work, but still i know a few places you can do this
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
shadowfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98F-1camaro View Post
ok, where do I start (hypothetically of course lol)

-yes, $75 of monopoly money is available

-yes, it does have to pass the computer but thats being taken care of with the tune, so when they plug it in, everything "looks" good to the computer.

-If I had a "friend" with a "shop" this hypothetical exercise would never have been posted.

-I've never been a fan of cats and their uncanny ability to rob horsepower. When your on a tight budget, every pony counts.
you could take your real 75. and get it done at a place i know
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfire View Post
yes i got my car to pass for 75 and it hardly ran, died twice right in front of the guy, it might have helped that we do his tree work, but still i know a few places you can do this
If you know of one, make use of it now. Private stuff is drying up as far as easy-going goes. I knew of 3 places... none do it anymore. And they don't just hate me.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I hypothetically tuned out all of my hypothetical codes, hypothetically tacked two hypothetical heat shields (that I hypothetically ripped off of two hypothetical junk cats), drove it through a hypothetical state inspection facility, and passed with hypothetically flying colors

as soon as I got to my hypothetical home I hypothetically ripped them off

this is all hypothetically speaking of course
I had this same hypothetical situation, except I had real cats that were hypothetically missing some interior components. I went through a state facility and even without codes showing, they still gave me the sideways look with the raised eyebrow. It was a case of the computer saying "all clear", their eyes saying "cats in place, good to go", but their noses saying "wait a second, what is that smell?" so you still have to be careful. They
even popped my hood to give a quick look. It go to the point, where I was starting to get nervous.

How aggressive is your camshaft, overlap, duration? Are there other things that would cause them to do a double take?

I agree with others that if you aren't making super big power, the HP hit is probably not that large, and judging by the 2.5" Y-pipe, I'm guessing the cats won't hurt you all that much, if at all.

I know I would not want to get caught in a roadside inspection with hypothetical cats, that surely wouldn't end well and I don't think the penalties are hypothetical.

Good Luck

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 01-15-2012 at 08:00 PM.
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #33
NJ346
11 Second Club / I <3 LT1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
I had this same hypothetical situation, except I had real cats that were hypothetically missing some interior components. I went through a state facility and even without codes showing, they still gave me the sideways look with the raised eyebrow. It was a case of the computer saying "all clear", their eyes saying "cats in place, good to go", but their noses saying "wait a second, what is that smell?" so you still have to be careful. They
even popped my hood to give a quick look. It go to the point, where I was starting to get nervous.

How aggressive is your camshaft, overlap, duration? Are there other things that would cause them to do a double take?

I agree with others that if you aren't making super big power, the HP hit is probably not that large, and judging by the 2.5" Y-pipe, I'm guessing the cats won't hurt you all that much, if at all.

I know I would not want to get caught in a roadside inspection with hypothetical cats, that surely wouldn't end well and I don't think the penalties are hypothetical.

Good Luck
I think no two state inspection stations are the same. I went to my local state one(Manahawkin) last week with my H/C car and they didn't even pop the hood. They don't use mirrors anymore but have cameras with led lights in the floor and a nice hdtv hanging on the wall. I have cats and they took a few looks at them but that was it. Believe it or not, they bothered me about not having a front plate more than anything else.

00 SS A4- LQ9/LS3/Stalled/3.42s 1.48/11.10/121 mph<-6spd swap in progress.
13 Silverado Z71- Sold 11/16
99 Z28 M6- -H/C/9in - sold 1/13
99 Silverado Z71- The DD - Sold 7/13
03 CBR 600RR - Sold 8/13
NJ346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #34
B4C

Passed with flying colors last week, got my all flow cas from frozen boost, best $35 Ive spent. They guy even asked me what I did to get it to pass lol

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > East Central Jersey