Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
ShadowHawk
13 Second Club

Question Anyone try an LPW axle tube brace kit on a stock 10 bolt?

So after friday night at E-town I'm happy with my times but I know it has 11's in it with a harder launch. Problem is it's still a bone stock 10 bolt. Ideally I'd like a 12 bolt but the funding just isn't there.

I know LPW makes a killer rear girdle/stud kit but has anyone tried the axle tube brace they offer? It seems like a damn good idea for those of us who can't afford a 12 bolt.

It's WAAAAY cheaper than going the 12 bolt route and isn't it really the housing that fails under load anyway? I mean I know I'll need axles eventually but the typical problem seems to be the whole housing tweaking or cracking. Next time I track the car I'd like to try leaving at 4000 or 4500rpm. I'd kill for like an 11.7!!

http://www.lpwracing.com/p_axletubebrace.asp
ShadowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
IROCdan330
12 Second Club

everyone claims the problem is the housing itself, deflecting when put under load. which is why everyone says "oh get the housing with the bearing supports" and "you can make your 10 bolt hold a million horsepower."

in reality, its just the overall size of everything in there as a unit that make it weak. you can strengthen one spot but another area will become the weak point. The ring/pinion in these rears are small. There isnt enough surface area to hold up to a beating. Add in some gearing (3.73, 4.10, etc), and you just lost MORE surface area, making the unit weaker yet again.

all in all, yes, you can take the known weak areas of a 7.5" 10-bolt and improve upon them...but at the end of the day its still just a 10-bolt, and it will eventually fail. I would really suggest saving for a 12-bolt and/or keeping your eyes peeled for a used unit.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

^what he said

the ring and pinion are the weak points, not the case. Money spent on the ten bolt is money wasted
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech