Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 03-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Any experienced arc welders?

I have an old arc welder setup that I came across that my father must have bought back in the day. I just don't know much about stick welding or what should be there or what might be missing.
I don't remember the brand off-hand right now but I'll try to take some pictures tonight. I am pretty sure it is brand new. The instruction manual is also there with it.

I wouldn't mind having it functional for those times when it would come in handy. Sort of like right now when i need a few exhaust pipes tack welded in place so I can remove them from the engine and take them to get fully welded.

I'm basically looking for someone to come over and set it up with me and figure it out. It's in Closter NJ, northern Bergen co.

Last edited by V; 03-10-2017 at 06:22 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I don't know much but my buddies do. Its tough to get used to but once you get the hang of it, its simple. Really you just need some sticks and metal. Just read a little on this site and it is a good introduction.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
6spdg37s

I say u just get some scrap exhaust pipes and practice it till you get the hang of it... especially since ull just be tacking it and not doing the final welds i dont think it has to be perfect.
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Mario (WSex) is involved in the civil construction industry, and I believe they use stick at his yard. He's not that far away, either. Shoot him a message.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
TaKid455

Really not hard to setup. You need aground and your torch with sticks/ rods. For ease of not burning through, find some heavy scrap angle. 1/4' thk will be fine. Select and amperage and go. Some rods need the metal to be prepped while others are more tolerant. Get a wire brush and a slag hammer.

Have fun and remember Drag the slag.

Weldingweb.com is a good source for info
TaKid455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
wretched73

Ohhh! I'm taking a welding class and we've done a bunch of stick welding so far. Its very simple. Just go slow and burn as many rods as possible
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #7
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I started arc- welding with my grandpa 19 years ago. We worked on his heavy duty construction equipment It was awesome. handing me the heavy gloves at 12 years old ... and of course i screwed up . our first task was fixing a plate tamper shaft on a hand tampre . .. shotty welds. yet I have used that tamper 4 or 5 times since then for big time jobs

So.... I can tell ya Aside from that.. I spent a few years doing on and off arc welding.. but mostly on back-hoes and heavy duty stuff. I did mig-weld in my whole subframe that was with a Lincoln welder

if you need precision tig stufff... find a pro. if you can find a good local guy.. go for it. check the welds

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
V
Stalker

I finally got over to actually look at the welder. Its an Airco 100 amperes ac welder. Instruction manual is dated 1974. plug is attached and factory wired for 115v according to the manual. I do have the ground clamp with wire and electrodes holder with wire. There are 4 places to plug in the wires. It seems that depending on the locations, you either get 35, 50, 80, or 100amps. I looked for any rods but no luck. Id have to buy them. I also found the helmet but i think id get a better/newer one.

It appears that i just plug it in to an outlet and strike and arc. No on/off switch ever. The manual does recommend a line disconnect switch before the welder. It also says to use a 30 amp circuit, and i only think i have 20 in the garage. If i weld at 35amps setting would that be ok? I possibly could retire it to 230v and use my 220 compressor plug.

The manual also explains how to stick weld pretty decently.

Ill post pictures when i get back home tonight.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

Paul if you need any sticks I have a ton you can take. I no longer have an arc welder
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
V
Stalker

Quote:
Paul if you need any sticks I have a ton you can take. I no longer have an arc welder
Thanks, but I may not need them after all. lol

Here are the pictures of the old welder I have...

The instruction manual....

BUT... dealing with this old welder will be put on hold, maybe one day I'll play with it, but for now, I'm borrowing a MIG from my neighbor to get done what I have to.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

That thing is awesome. Got an old mig miller that has different female plugs for different amps as well

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech