Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
NjbadSS

99 WS6 rear advice

I was getting an awful wine in the rear of my 99 ws6 with auto trans, yes I know this is common, but mine was BAD. Also, had other signs that my rear has seen better days. I ordered everything that I need to redo the whole rear, ripped everything apart, got the rear almost all together and am running into a small issue. I am a little confused about the shim on the pinion. This is the very small one that lays behind the inner pinion bearing. I put everything together and there was more play then I am happy with in the pinion. I will say that the car had 3.23 gears in it and there was a mistake when I got the new parts and they sent me 3.42 gears which leads to my first question, will I run into problems with this? My next question is does the ratio have anything at all to do with that shim on the pinion? I used the shim off of my other pinion thinking that it would be fine, but I am now thinking there is a difference. Is there a specific shim thickness that should be used on each specific ring and pinion?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

The pinon depth varies between housings and gear sets. The pinion depth as well as backlash must be set properly any time the gears are changed.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Slow-V6

If you were complaining about your old rear end making to much noise then I would not re use anything from that rear end.

Your 3.42's will be fine. Your Speedo will be off a little but thats about it..
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
B4C

You have to set up everything, you cant just go taking it appart, adding new parts and putting it back together
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline