Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Vinnie Madrox

Shift kit question

I'm not really sure how they work, so i'm not really sure if there is really an issue with my trans or not. The 1-2 shift in my camaro (94 z28 LT1) is VERY hard. I love it lol. But the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts take forever. Like and old **** riding the clutch when shifting. Is that something maybe caused by the shift kit being put in incorrectly?

I know on my GTP's i messed with the shift times (not shift points) and shotrened them to make them shift faster and a little harder in the PCM...but i dont know anything about physical shift kits that go in the trans from taking the pan off. Maybe the installer put the wrong washers/spacers in for the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts? (i've heard its a matter of putting washers or spacers in the valve body or something?)

Any advice would be great. I really hope its something stupid, and dont have to bring it to a trans shop....

http://www.MAGMAlliance.com

Last edited by Vinnie Madrox; 01-22-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Vinnie Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

I installed a transgo hd2 reprogramming kit on my 4l60e before a tune with the full 3 washers in the accumulator. The 1-2 shift was very hard and the 2-3 shift was semi-firm because the torque management was still active. Once the torque management was tuned out the both the 1-2 and 2-3 was much harder.

You DO NOT want to bump line pressure through tuning if you have a shift kit; it will put too much pressure on the trans. Also, you dont want the 3-4 shift to be super firm since that is the torque converter going into lockup, and you dont want to burn out the lockup clutch. Plus your car should not be shifting into 4th if you are accelerating hard.
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
S.J.SLEEPER

2nd. what he said ^

sometimes you can move the pin on the servo to get the shift firmer too.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
88WS-6

What exactly did you have done? Just a shift kit? I have a modded 4L60E in my Trailblazer with the TransGo HD2 shiftkit, .500 inch boost valve and a vette servo and I spin through the 1-2 shift at WOT. The 2-3 is a little firm and 3-4 feels stock. I have done no changes to the PCM yet, this is just with replacing physical parts so the computer still shifts it like its stock.

Like KirkEvil said, you shouldn't adjust any of the line pressure, espcially if you just threw a kit in with the stock internals. Depending on your tune, for example through PCM4LESS, you can adjust shift firmness and timing, but you still wouldn't want to do that on a trans with just a shiftkit and what I would assume to be a lot of miles.

~Matt

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Vinnie Madrox

I have no idea, it was put in by the previous owner, and he didnt know anything about the car (claims to have had it put in same time he had the filter changed and fluid flushed

http://www.MAGMAlliance.com
Vinnie Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
88WS-6

Maybe open it up and take a look if you need a fluid/filter change soon.

~Matt

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline